Pics

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
For the last couple days our neighborhood has had 2 stray dogs that have either escaped from their invisible fence (there are transmitters on their collars), or been dumped. They've been harassing my chickens.

This morning they made a determined assault on the brooder.

This is why I covered the chicken wire with hardware cloth when I converted it:

0512221011.jpg
0512221011_HDR.jpg
0512221019.jpg
0512221019a.jpg

All they managed to do was to tear up the tarp and frighten the babies.

I don't know what breed they are, something medium-sized, short-legged, and terrier-ish with long, shaggy coats. I'm not a dog person so I classify them as "Those yappy things people like to baby". It doesn't have to be a big dog to do damage -- just a determined one.

Don't take chances!

Hardware cloth for the win! I don't even know why they call chicken wire that...maybe because all its good for is keeping chickens in.

It was perfectly fine for the original owner -- who had their own dogs patrolling the property and keeping off predators.

It's not fine without either guard dogs or a strong outer perimeter of electric fence. :)

Hardware cloth for the win! I don't even know why they call chicken wire that...maybe because all its good for is keeping chickens in.

Yep, chicken wire is only really good for keeping chickens in. Not good at all for keeping many predators out.

FWIW, I had a dog that was able to chew through a chain link fence when he wanted to get out of his kennel. I don't think any hardware cloth would have stopped that dog from attacking chickens if he was motivated. At that point, you hope your fencing is strong enough to slow down the predator to give the chickens time enough to retreat inside the coop via the pop door.

I doubt my chickens are smarter than any other flock, but when I do get an occasional dog sniffing around my chicken run, my girls beat feet and hide in the chicken coop. The dog loses interest and just moves on. When the dog is gone, the chickens will slowly work up enough courage to start coming outside into the run again.

I agree. We had 2 dogs get into our fence backyard once and were determined to get to my hens. Throwing themselves against the hardware cloth. Thankfully it was attached well and they didn't get in because my chickens literally have chicken brains and were just standing there staring at the 2 giant pitbulls trying to get in to kill them. Not 1 ran to safety 🤦‍♀️

I am GOING to get a picture of one of my hens scaling a 6' chicken wire fence - flapping her wings and literally grabbing the wire with her feet as she "walks" up the fence so she can jump over.

I agree. We had 2 dogs get into our fence backyard once and were determined to get to my hens. Throwing themselves against the hardware cloth. Thankfully it was attached well and they didn't get in because my chickens literally have chicken brains and were just standing there staring at the 2 giant pitbulls trying to get in to kill them. Not 1 ran to safety 🤦‍♀️

:eek: Maybe my chickens are smarter than I give them credit. You won't find 1 chicken in my chicken run if a dog comes around in the yard.

I don't love to see it. My babies in the grow out pen, with the expensive food, and my rabbits are also in that area - and their food isn't great for chickens either - though the birds mostly ignore it, now that they've tried it.

Well, let me add to my comment. I would love to see your pictures of a chicken scaling the fence to jump over because this is exactly why I have bird netting on top of my chicken run. Not only does it keep the aerial predators out, but it keeps my chickens in. Seeing a chicken scaling the fencing to jump out might encourage other people to add netting on top of their runs, as appropriate, because I suspect some people might not care too much if a bird jumps over every once in a while.

:lau I definitely would not like to see my chickens scaling my fencing and jumping out!

Back
Top Bottom