This is why I can't be a chicken seller

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by horsejody, Mar 2, 2009.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I had an extra black Jersey Giant roo. He was 3 months old and very sweet. I didn't have enough room for an extra pen for another rooster so I advertised him on Craig's List for $20. Of course I had quite a few responses because JG's are hard to find around here, especially for $20. I ended up selling him to a very nice lady just a few miles from my house. I know she will love him. I know he's in a good home. But I still feel guilty. I have given birds to 4H kids before, but this feels like blood money.
  2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I feel for ya! I have extra Seb ganders for the same reason!
  3. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    my husband gets mad at me cause I give mine away.....I feel bad asking for money....even when I paid good for them....
  4. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Why would it be 'blood money'? He is a beautiful roo, and he went to a great home. You can use the money to buy food for more beautiful birds, and he has a new Mom to love him. You would feel better giving him away for free?

You did fine, and he will be happy. [​IMG]

5. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    I've thought of that same thing and decided it will be better to charge money because I'm sure there are a lot of people who will take a free rooster just for dinner, but if I have a nice, tame chicken that I want someone to take seriously, I think I'll charge some money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by