THIS is Why I Have Roosters...Thwarted Hawk Attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by speckledhen, Jan 2, 2011.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Isaac and Suede just prevented my girls from becoming a meal this afternoon. The main flock was free ranging today with Isaac. I heard Ike and Suede yell, looked up and through the kitchen window, saw a huge redtail in his dive, just as he was about six feet from the ground, changing course to go back up--since his element of surprise was spoiled by my roosters, guess he didn't want to be caught on the ground by Ike. It took colossal effort for him to turn as low as he was, it looked like to me.

Girls were scattered and running to the coop, inside, under it, under the deck, etc. Suede's girls and Suede were inside, old ladies were underneath their coop, all five babies in the broody pen were all under Nugget with not one little head or tail sticking out, etc. I found big Meg crammed underneath the calcium feeder in the corner and had to pry her out of there. They had quite a scare today! This is the reason I love my roosters. They spend about 90% of their time just watching the skies and surroundings while the ladies stuff their faces and take leisurely dustbaths. [​IMG]

2. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    What a wonderful compliment to your roos. They are VERY good boys.

3. speckledhen

Hawk made his dive in front of the main coop and right beside Suede's pen, so he really didn't pick the best place, smack dab between my two big guys, LOL. Isaac is in the coop right now with his girls, looking out the window at where he last saw that redtail.

4. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Very cool. What breed? Are they nice to people?

5. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Yes, I agree with you Cynthia. A good rooster or more than one is a good deterrent against most hawks. Roosters are always watching & warns (I see them standing there vigilant), and the hawk MUST at least consider what happens once it is on the ground. I've seen this with mine.

What are Isaac & Suede (breed)?

6. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Good work, Roos. I wish I could have one but since I can't I'm feeding the crows in my back yard. So far they've scared off the pheasants..[​IMG]

7. speckledhen

Isaac is the big Delaware rooster in my avatar and Suede is my blue Orpington guy. They wouldn't be easy to deal with if the hawk lost his advantage and landed on the ground.

Here is big Suede for those who don't know him:

[​IMG]

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have always loved Isaac! [​IMG] He will always be my favorite of your roosters. Maybe because he is my Jacob's daddy, and I love my Jacob! He does the same thing ..... always watching out for those silly girls! I LOVE my roosters!

9. speckledhen

Oh, Janine asked if they are good with people. Yup, can't beat 'em! They are both sweet boys. Suede is four years old and Isaac will turn two years old in February. Never a moment's trouble.

10. mercedes

mercedes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    TX
    Two very handsome boys with good temperaments,PRICELESS!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by