This is wierd...will this chick be ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tmfineg, Feb 11, 2012.

1. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    Sunday i purchased 4 two day old chicks. After a couple of days I noticed one standing awkward and limping. It appeared a to have a tight ligament preventing it from extending it's leg, it also had a scab around its leg. The chick was declining more towards the end of the week so I looked at again last night. The belly seemed a little hard on one side and the leg was still the same.

Then the chick began to ooze a yellow yolk like substance from it's belly area down the leg, it just kept oozing. It was not puss. Then I poked around the scab around it's leg. The "scab" was I guess the ambilical cord pulling from the belly then wrapped around it leg. I cut it from around the leg and snipped it off close to the belly. The chick was fiesty the whole time and did not seem in pain. This morning she just stood there while the other chicks ate. I hope it just needs a day or so to recoup.

Has anyone had anything similar happen? Was this the yolk it absorbed? I did give the chick a few drops of sports drink from a dropper, I hope that was ok. Thanks.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX

The sports drink will help it. Sounds like it hatched early and didn't absorb all the yolk first like it should have. It might not make it. But keep giving it sports drink or better is a vitamin and electrolytes mix you can get at the feed store for them. And try to get it to eat. Soaking food in water to make a mushy mess sometimes gets them eating it.

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

Another option is egg, raw egg... Works a treat! Sounds silly, but it does work!

4. tmfineg

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    I bought the vitamins and have them by dropper 3 times yesterday. The chick, Pip (short for Pipsqueak), was not interested in food yesterday and has a fit when I take him out and separate him from the other chicks. He won't eat without the other chicks. They are getting spunky, it was like a feeding frenzy when have them hard boiled egg. It will be difficult to give him any mash with them around. He is interested in food today, did a little pecking which is a good sign. I guess he will have to figure it out. Thanks for the advice.

I am still curious if anyone else has had this happen to a chick, where the cord gets wrapped around the leg.

5. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I've had them come out with some cord still on them, just not wrapped around a leg. Those always are weak chicks and some make it while some don't. Good job you've done with this one! It's interested in eating now so it may be about to come out of it and be a healthy chickie.

6. tmfineg

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    Update on the chick. He is doing fine. He is still smaller than the other 3, but he is clever. He waits until the others are chasing each other for some morsel, then chows down quick while they run around.

1 person likes this.
  7. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    I wish we had a like button!! So happy it's doing well. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX

They can be pretty smart that way. I have one that was injured badly as a chick (nighttime predator attack) and was crippled for a long time after. She was unable to scratch like the others and would watch them scratch, then run in and swipe whatever morsels they uncovered really fast before the scratcher had a chance to get it. She's fine now and can scratch on her own but sometimes still has a limp. And still swipes their bugs LOL.

9. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    We DO have a like button :) See that little thumbs up in the corner.

And... I'm really happy to hear that the chickie is doing good!! Very clever one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by