1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This isn't common right??? Hatching WAY early. Pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monarc23, May 7, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Just about 5 minutes ago I had a white leghorn chick hatch. Mind you, this chick wasn't due until MONDAY. I didn't plan to stop turning until tomorrow. How normal is this??? This is the second time i've had an early hatch... the last time the "earliest" it was was day 20.....all its siblings and all the other eggs due to hatch on monday arent even rocking.... lol what gives??? Chicks still wet, yolk fully absorbed normal sized chick. It had pipped this morning and I thought that was weird, but I thought maybe it'd stay pipped for a few more days and THEN hatch...nope...it was ready to go!

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Heres Cinco (named him after the 5 days early hatch):::

[​IMG]

normal sized chick:::
    [​IMG]

fully absorbed eggie:

[​IMG]

3. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    She's a beauty! I hope mine are early and healthy also! [​IMG]

4. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    Is it possible that a hen sat on these eggs before you put them in the incubator?

5. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    yay uno!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i mean cinco!!!! [​IMG]

to cute!!! [​IMG]

6. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:thanks I hope it's a she that'd be great

what's funny is theres marans eggs I stopped turning today and they aren't even rocking yet this cutie who isnt even due until monday decided to make an appearance lol.

7. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Holy cow, early bird special! That's way to early to be safe. Either your hen secretly sat on the egg for a while or your temp was too high (accelerates growth if it doesn't cook them).

8. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    What a cutie! My "early" hatch was day 20. Maybe she is just an over-achiever.

9. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:could be but I candled all the eggs on day 2 and none had any visable development, on day three ofcourse there was and none looked any different than the others.

Also, these eggs were kept either in a fridge before i got them or in a very cool room as they were sweating when I got them (and cold) so that's why im confused if they were warm the hen sitting on the egg may have made sense but the not seeing any difference in the eggs when candled and stuff just confuses me. [​IMG]

I checked all the other eggs all are fine and dandy and no where near ready to hatch [​IMG]

10. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:could be possible but it wasnt from my eggs [​IMG] And the eggs were cold when i got them (and sweating) and they took an almost 2 hour journey to get to me LOL. And were candled on day two and none showed any visual development.

Also my incubator is always at 100.8 its' a cabinet incubator and stays very stable [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by