1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This isn't true! I mean come on! Maybe back in the 60s...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Moochie, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    In US history today our teacher said that in the deep parts of the south there are still race segregated schools. As in "your a different color, so you cannot attend at this school". Nuh uh.
    Maybe small schools that don't belong in an official district. Like little village schools that don't see much of another race so it's segregated because the school owner doesn't expect multi-cultured beings to come around.
    Even then I'm sure the guy in charge could be willing to make a change for new comers in town. I don't really believe that there's still segregated schools, I thought America was past this? Pushed it aside, forgive and forget, love for everyone!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Moochie, not all schools are publicly funded.

'Nuff said about that.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Not sure about segregation but the south is still highly divided in many, many areas.

PS - you live in North Edwards, CA? Another member here does too.

4. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:Ohhhh! I thought he meant that the schools were segregated because of racism. Sorry.
    He did not point that out >.>

5. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I like the south though. But the college I wanna go to is in Pennsylvania. Ball State University!

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Welllllll..... There are reasons for keeping schools privately funded, which allow for racism to be fostered.

California is a very, very, and I mean VERY liberal state. I know folks from the South who are glad they relocated FROM the South, and not necessarily because of the co,or of their skin. But they have seen racism, alive today, that would shock you and I.

7. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

my teacher said she went down south and somebody saw her lisence plate and she was from the north (i also am) and people "commented" on it.

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I believe that right away. We lived in Eustis Fl, where there are roughly 40% whites and the rest black latino and asian. I took my son to head start. Well there were ALL black teachers and about 90-95% black students. He was called a stupid white baby on on a another occasion ,he was bitten bloody. Of course the black teacher said she watched him all day .Somehow magically she didnt know who bit him. THat was the last day he went to H-start.

9. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Maybe you should ask your teacher about the racially segregated neighborhoods in LA. Enclaves of color and nationality.

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    in the deep parts of the south there are still race segregated schools.

Not any schools that are public. Private...maybe. As for racism in the south...well..there are parts of the country where things are still scary. In Colorado you get the occasional yaywho who is just an individual racist with a few equally ignorant buddy. I think a lot of the country is like that. Then there are creepy pockets of hatred you run in to every once in a while and as you drive away you vow never to return...​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by