This Isn't What It Looks Like, Right?? (I hope!) Poop Pic--WEIRD

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by speckledhen, Aug 4, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I know this came out of Suede. Saw it in his poop, looked like a reddish cocoon, sort of torpedo shaped. The outside was a bit hard, not soft at all. Didn't take a pic before we cut it open, but did afterward. Only some clearish fluid came out of it, but no worm or anything else inside. Is this a piece of intestine or actually a cocoon? If cocoon, what on earth was in it?? ICK! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    oh gosh. thats not normal [​IMG] ew. hope you find out what it is cause I know that I wanna know!!!

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Did he get into something? Chickens are notorious for getting into anything that is not edible.

My first thought was tapeworm but now I am hmmmmmmmmmmmmm! A fluke worm?

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Was it really this lurid colour ?
    I was thinking of intestinal cast, but it would not be purple!

Sandie

5. speckledhen

My camera has been making things look more blue than they are, especially when I don't use the flash, but the interior was white with the slightest bluish cast and the outside reminded me of the color of spaghetti, not actually bloody-looking, but more like orangey-red and crusty. I hope it's a piece of intestine-hate to think that there was an actual thing inside that is now living in his intestines! YUK! That group was wormed about two months ago.

6. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    That's the strangest thing I've ever seen. How is Suede acting now? I'd keep an eye on him and his poop for awhile. How old is he, Cyn?

7. speckledhen

He's over three and a half years old now. He seems perfectly fine. Acts normal.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If he didnt poop anymore out of him and it could have been a residesual of the worming but they didn't move on out until now. That would be possible.

If he acted fine and so forth, color is good, then I think he is fine too!

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    He could be shedding a tapeworm or fluke. I had one of my hens shed what looked like almost a cooked flat piece of macaroni earlier this year, no sign of blood or guts on it though. I treated them with valbazen twice in one month. I recommend that you try and observe his poop for any further out of ordinary excretions.

10. suzettex5

suzettex5 Songster

May 26, 2009
    California
    I havent had any worm issues (yet [​IMG] ) but my first thought was it looked like undigested, fatty bacon. Any chance of that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by