This just made me giggle!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vclark321, Oct 12, 2011.

1. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    My RIR started laying about 2 weeks ago on the floor of the coop, so I put some ping pong balls in the nesting box to 'encourage' her to lay her eggs there. I opened up the coop one fine morning & found her in the nesting box sitting on the ping pong balls & moving them around underneath her! Blessed little girrl was trying to hatch a couple of ping pong balls! I ended up taking them out since she stopped laying for a couple of days. She has since started laying again, but just seeing her try to keep the ping pong balls warm & covered made me smile! Go girl! I just had to share with everyone. Happy Wednesday everybody!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No need to take them out. I still have wooden eggs in some of my boxes. The girls like laying on them and moving them around. Other girls prefer an empty nest.

3. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Quote:Only another chicken lover could appreciate that! Isn't it nice to have this forum for sharing our little stories!?!

4. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    I roll when one of the girls rearranges the nest enthusiastically enough to toss out the plastic easter eggs i have in thiers

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I too have the wooden eggs to encourage laying. I have four nest and they have used all four. Yesterday one layed and I left the eggs in there while I did something else. When I went back to get it there were two more in there. I thought the hen would pick out a favorite nest but that's not catching on. But the wooden eggs help anyway.

6. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I use golf balls, at the moment my girl has REAL FERTILISED EGGS! She's so proud of herself and so moody lol I candle them and just place it back in front of her and she rolls them under again growling away, so cute.

7. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    I have 7 girls that all prefer 1 nest box ( we offer 4, 2 up and 2 down). When I have a silly streak going, I move the golf ball to teh other bottom nest box that they do not use and watch the girls push and nose the ball over to their favorire box. So cute !

8. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    They are so amusing with their antics! They have provided me with such delightful entertainment! Comics they are. My RIR RuPaul just loves to come in the house. One day I found her in my upstairs bathroom. 'Bout scared me to death when I turned the light on! Then I jsut started laughing. It's just a great way to stay healthy when you laugh.

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:That's hilarious! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by