this lil 1

Discussion in 'Quail' started by tuesdays chicks, Oct 26, 2010.

1. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    should of been the 1st to hatch, never got his beak back in the shell to zip.

[​IMG]
    he was easily twice the size of these little guys. needless to say I pulled him out of his egg and he lived about 5 hours with curled toes. I had 1 other little yellow 1 that zipped and didn't make it out on his own and then the 3rd 1 you see with all the brownish was the last chick to hatch and I helped him out of his shell as soon as he zipped, 6 eggs in bator not hatched.
    [​IMG]

2. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Did you buy these eggs from someone else?? It looks like it was probably another breed of larger quail

3. tuesdays chicks

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    They weren't exactly bought but did come from someone else. The brown are jumbo, and the chick that lived is the same size as the others, she told me before the hatch I might get some yellow. She hasn't got yellow breeder its a gene coming out I'm not sure if I will let this yellow breed because they don't seem to have good survival rate.

4. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    If I may provide my postmortem on the white chick. Let me preface this by saying that I do not wish to insult, chastise, or generally make anyone feel bad!

I tend to shoot from the hip sometimes, and don't say please, thank you, or emoicon enough for public forums but this is my honest assessment of the info that I have at hand.

#1. You busted the chick out. That's a Joe NO NO. It took me a few years to figure that out. There may be some species of poultry that need some help getting out, but 99.99% of all coturnix that are busted out by hand, die within 48hours. I know the board will soon be flooded with "Bust out stories" complete with pictures, maybe even video. The broody coturnix, exploding quail egg conundrum. Sorry...I have a life and 160 living coturnix people.
    If they can't make it out of the shell on their own, then they were not meant to be! No matter the size or color. It's heart breaking to watch, but the alternative is heart breaking with a bunch of extra work! The ending is the exact same, in most cases...well, almost all.
    The exact hatch time for any coturnix can defy human logic. Just because a human thinks they should hatch doesn't mean they will or even should hatch.

Again...Not trying to make anyone feel bad!

5. tuesdays chicks

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    its ok Joe, I knew that chick wasn't going to make it when I broke him out, he was pipped for 4 hours before I finally did the deed, I did it more because I wanted to find out why he didn't get out, and he was still alive, I broke 3 out in total they were all yellow chicks I know its not good to break them out, and it doesn't matter either way they would have died, the last chick I broke out was the only 1 to survive, so yes maybe your right maybe your not, the last 1 was the last out of all the eggs to hatch and I could see it was another yellow fighting its shell it zipped like the 2nd 1 of the yellow, I know survival of the fittest and all that but human nature is to help the weak, or we wouldn't have sooo so many disabled children and people crying out for funds to pay vets bills for a chihuahua that was thrown out of a car window, when the dog should just be put down. I used to watch some vets show with hubby and people would bring their small pets in when its just cheaper to get a new hamster then bring 1 to the vet, I would be saying flush it. so yes and no joe that last chick might have got out of his shell on his own or might not of I'll never know because I did the dirty deed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by