This little Australorp...

TXChookstead

Songster
Sep 16, 2021
East Texas
This young...lady?...is different from her brother and sisters, all hatched from the same papa and 3 Mamas --- who definitely have all the Australorp characteristics.

Her small comb is differently shaped (the others are more blade-like), and she has a bit of white lacing in the breast along with little bits of red on the back. Could this be recessive RIR and Leghorn genes coming out? She is the only one like this.

Also, her brother has already developed a much larger comb and wattles, so I am assuming/hoping she is (truly) a "she" at 8 weeks old, despite the redness of the comb.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_20220324_170414__01.jpg
    IMG_20220324_170414__01.jpg
    797.1 KB · Views: 21
This young...lady?...is different from her brother and sisters, all hatched from the same papa and 3 Mamas --- who definitely have all the Australorp characteristics.

Her small comb is differently shaped (the others are more blade-like), and she has a bit of white lacing in the breast along with little bits of red on the back. Could this be recessive RIR and Leghorn genes coming out? She is the only one like this.

Also, her brother has already developed a much larger comb and wattles, so I am assuming/hoping she is (truly) a "she" at 8 weeks old, despite the redness of the comb.:rolleyes:
Beautiful pic. She must be a mix

Oops! Guess I can't advertise these as purebreds then. I really thought they were! The rest of the chicks look it, so that is really weird!

She is a sweet girl. We put her and the others in a pen close to (but not with) their parents today, and they ran over to me for safety, as if to say, "Mom, we're scared of them!" LOL. Their dad wasn't too keen on them, but I think the mama hens had some idea....

Last edited:
So here "she" is today, at almost 12 weeks old. Just started to crow this week! A late bloomer, I guess. We've figured out that daddy is a mix, so this fellow is at least 1/2 Australorp, if not a fair bit more more.

Goodness, this cockerel has soul. We are hoping the family of one of my kiddos' friends will take him, as three roosters would be a bit much for us. In honor of those flame-colored feathers, we named him Hot Rod. 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20220421_182217__01.jpg
    IMG_20220421_182217__01.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220421_182555__01.jpg
    IMG_20220421_182555__01.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom