This little guy is sick isnt he?!!!!

Youtjatoor

Chirping
Mar 7, 2017
Fuquay-Varina NC
Brought this little barred cockerel home yesterday and he was doing perfectly well. all his other siblings were just great too.. acting normal, foraging, scratching, eating, everything..... today i get home from work and i notice this behavior. just every once in a while and now its every few seconds and he looks like he is gasping almost. what could it be? i dont want to lose him :(

0.jpg

It looks like it is sneezing. Never a good thing. Remove it from the others till you get a better answer.also post this on the illnesses thread. Very wise of you to include video . Excellent just wish I was more help. Best, Karen

I used to use pine shavings but switched to disposable potty pads; absorbs wetness, traction, no more messy water, easy clean. No idea what the issue maybe but as 3riverschick suggested, post in Emergencies, Disease, Injury forum.

I admit, that sneezing is concerning. How long has this been going on?

Sneezing is an attempt to clear the breathing passages. It's normal. But it shouldn't go on for more than a few minutes at most.

Did all your chicks come from the same source? What was the source? Certified hatchery, feed store, private breeder, chicken swap?

If your chick is sick, he will probably start getting lethargic. If he behaves normally, eating, pooping, and drinking, but continues to sneeze, I would try looking into his nares and down his throat to see if there's a foreign object.

6 EE's from TSC. Him and his sister from a private. Yesterday doing great. This started today. Nares are clear. Throat he won't let me check.

Last edited:
Ask the private breeder if there has been any respiratory illness in their flock. Mycoplasma is a virus that can get transmitted by birds, seemingly unaffected by it, but there would have been a few casualties in the flock even if some are resistant.

It's probably too late to separate the two you got from the private breeder since they've already transmitted it to the other chicks.

But it still may not be a virus. Get someone to hold the chick and pry open the beak while you shine a strong light into his throat. Look at the other chick for comparison purposes. Use a magnifying glass if you have one. Look for anything in there that shouldn't be. A hair, or bit of wood shaving, or down feather or mucous.

Now that this is on the right forum, someone more knowledgeable will be along to tell you how to go from here. It can be treated if it's Mycoplasma.

Ok. Still no signs of anything else. No discharges anywhere. He is acting normal. No lethargy. Eating drinking pooping fine. No signs from other chicks of anything. The reaction has decreased from seconds to several minutes between. I'll get some probiotics and electrolytes in him and keep updating as we go along.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom