**This Little Light of Mine****

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by markb816, May 24, 2010.

1. markb816

markb816 Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    Ok, so by now I'm sure you have all seen the solar l.e.d. lights that stick in the ground.
    They sell them at walmart, lowes, home depot and other places fairly cheap.
    I was thinking about getting some and putting close to the coop.
    They are not bright at all, but do produce some light.
    My question is, will this be beneficial or detrimental for the coop and its 9 chickens at night.
    Will it attract or deter unwanted predators and guest?
    I don't think the light will be bright enough to really affect the chickens.
    I am not going to put them directly in the coop, just around the coop.
    What does BYC think?

Last edited: May 24, 2010

2. I think they would be attractive, and would draw bugs, but your chickens would be asleep so wouldn't benefit from that!!! Or I guess the draw bugs, never really thought about that aspect of them. I just think they are pretty and add a lot to the landscaping.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing 8 Years

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    they really won't be bright. The ones I have had give enough light to see so that you are not falling over something, and will line a pathway. But the light is only concentrated downwards, and is not all that bright.

We did string some up in a saddle shed, as my cowboys have some long days and unsaddle in the dark. The light is better than nothing, but not real bright. I doubt your chickens will even notice it.

mk

4. markb816

markb816 Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    The lights are not very bright at all. More of a marker of sorts than lighting for visibility.
    so as far as attracting/deterring unwanted guests(predators)....Does BYC think it will make a difference?
    I hadn't planned on putting a slew of the lights like an airplane runway, or anything, but enough, if it makes a difference as far as keeping night critters away or something.
    Since the chickens go in before night, and before the lights even trigger to come on, then so far they are oblivious to the lights completely.
    BYC, help me with this one. I would hate to have something for my chickens if it isn't good or a lure for violators

5. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Songster

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    I don't think low lights would make much difference for predators. People report raccoon activity in broad daylight, especially if they're really hungry. The lights would probably be mostly for you to see better at night if you have to go outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by