This "little" piggie went to " market".

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by justusnak, Jun 2, 2008.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

OK, so some of you know we were fattening a pig for the freezer...here are my records....to compare.

March 20th....we got the pig. I have been doing the " weight by measure" Length(between ears to tail) x width( around chest behind front legs) x Girth( around waiste in fron of back legs) divided by 400 to get "guestimation" of weight.
    When we got him he was about 50 lbs.
    [​IMG]

7 April : 37x33x32= 97 pounds
    14 April" 37x34x34= 106 pounds
    21 April: 40x36x37= 133 pounds
    28 April: 40x37x39= 144 pounds
    5 May:41x42x40=172 pounds
    12 MAy: 43x43x42=194 pounds
    19 May:45x43x42=203 pounds
    26 May...pig to slaughter. I forgot to measure. Hanging weight was 237 pounds.
    [​IMG]
    Freezer weight was 145 pounds meat.
    We spent on average $10.00 a week on feed, plus table scraps.
    So 9 weeks = $90.00 on feed.
    slaughter was $125 for slaughter/package/cure.
    total spent was $215.00 for 145 pounds meat.
    Not too bad...$1.48/pound
    So, we now have 2 more...They are much smaller..about 35 pounds start weight.

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Did you add in the amount it cost to purchase the pig? Keeping in mind he was already 50lbs.

LOL. As much as I think I would like the idea of homegrown pork, I look at that face in the pictures and think too much of my dogs. [​IMG] I don't know why, it's weird. Adam said no anyway because he had one that was "suppose" to be freezer meat but became too much of a pet so they gave it to the neighbors. The neighbors named it and let it into the house like their dog and the husband even cried when it died. So Adam says "No, they are too easy to get attached to."

Good lookin' pig. Sounds like you didn't do to bad, considering it was homegrown meat. All that meat in the freezer sounds delicious!

-Kim

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

This first pig was free. A co worker of my son's had several of them. They all kept getting out, and finally all but one was gone. She didnt want to raise one pig..so she gave it to me. I did get a little too attached...he would follow me up and down the fenceline. LOVED to get belly rubs..and drink from the hose. But...when I got him..I knew he was for the freezer..so I kept that in my head all the time. He was treated well...and was very healthy.
    Now...these 2 little girls....well....this will be harder! LOL
    We try to stay away from the pig pen...only to feed and water...and check on thier well being a few times a day. They sure are cute tho! LOL

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The best thing about pigs as that they are made of pork!!

Since starting to raise pigs, I've changed a few things. I run them up to 275-300 lbs now. I like the cuts better and it really doesn't make the cost dynamic screwy. The bacon is wider, too, than a 225 lb piggy.

Regardless, great job! Now enjoy the reward.

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

He's so cute! I want two feeder pigs, but I can't find any. [​IMG]

6. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Any tricks to measuring the piggie? I tried tonight. I think i got 31X30X30... i noticed significantly shorter than yours. Either way that works out to 69 the formula says to add 7 so mine are roughly 75 lbs right now.

I can't wait for them to get to weight so we can eat home grown piggie....

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    When they stand on my foot, and it hurts really really freakin' bad... then I know they are big enough to take in. That puts them at 250+.

Up until that point, it's just annoying. After that point, it really freakin' hurts!

8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:You do your broiler chickens the same way? LOL

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by