This Made Me Cry

JP33

Songster
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Southeast, Louisiana
This is a video about a little girl who has autism. For ten years her family could not communicate with her and she could not communicate with anyone either.

She had therapists working with her for hours per day for many years with little or no progress.

Her doctors thought she was also perhaps retarded as well.

What happens next will amaze and humble you...

...JP

http://www.wimp.com/autisticgirl/

Absolutely AMAZING!! Brought tears to my eyes, in my high school its a public school they accepted Autistic kids this brings back so many memories!!
smile.png
this is a great story!

I don't get it? What kicked off her being able to type? How did she learn how to spell? Why did they have someone else type out the script for the narrator?

I'm just assuming it's another person that typed out the narrative girl's voice because of the perfect spelling and spacing.

Quote:
Apparently her therapists, doctors, parents' lessons over the years were in fact instilled into her psyche and one day it all came together for her. The computer was a vessel that allowed her to have a voice.

...JP

Fantastic! It is so hard to know what is real/true anymore...I hope this is true, and provides hope for others dealing with autism.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
This is not like assisted communication, which is full of problems. They did not say some one else typed it out, it was more like pretyped by her or just edited so you only saw the message after she typed it. Have you ever seen Stephen Hawking speak? He painstakingly types out his speech days ahead. It takes him ages to do it, but no one doubts when they hear his voice synthesizer speak that it is not his thoughts.

There have been other cases where people who were thought incommunicative turned out to know perfectly well how to spell..... And her "talk" with the reporter had misspellings.

They said what prompted it and how long they worked with her to get her to connect the idea that if she communicated she would be rewarded..... this did not sound like a sudden miracle - more the result of painstaking years of therapy and work.

I'm not saying it's not amazing, but why paraphrase what she really writes? It's enough of a miracle that she's typing at all, but having someone else type out her thoughts that she well, pre-wrote, seems a bit sad to me. She's putting out there what she can do to her best abilities. Having another person write it out seems to cheapen it somehow.

I haven't seen Stephen Hawking speak...except on Family Guy...I didn't even know about him until after watching the TV show.

Back
Top Bottom