This makes me so mad.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cluckcluck42, Sep 16, 2010.

1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
  2. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    This nonsense would devastate my community. Many people around here are virtually self sufficient in poultry, fruit and vegetables. Pigs are bought live and slaughtered by one man in the village for anyone who wants it done. Even the market produce comes from small local farms each day. I hear far less about food poisoning here than I did in the UK, despite all of the regulations there.

I think that most of the problems are caused by intensive farming methods. In this case, though, there seems to be no suggestion that there was anything wrong with the meat. Rather, he was in breach of some regulations because he got together with neighbours to share the meat. The person who reported him is probably a neighbour who wasn't included.

Let's hope that common sense looks in on the Court Hearing.

As my cousin says, we're going to hell in a handcart.

3. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    That is scary, I wonder where hunting and sharing meat comes into this. It would basically be the same thing, you kill an animal, process it and share with friends and family. Been going on as long as there have been human beings on this earth. That is done every year by hundreds of thousands if not millions of people all across Canada and the US.

4. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    And they SWARMED into the house, confiscated his belongings. Who can I complain to about this? What kind of stink do I have to raise?

Absolutely disgusting and they cannot get away with this. [​IMG]

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    The worse thing is that courts are renowned for not having any common sense. I still am hoping that the lack of warrant will get it thrown out.

6. thaiturkey

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    We seem to be getting the world that we asked for and deserve. It was great at first when Courts would give huge awards for trivial things or even personal carelessness with purchases. After all, we were suing big corporations and their insurance companies would pay. We fell for all the lies about threats from terrorists and identity thieves and begged the authorities to spy on each and every one of us. We demanded cheaper food, processed, packed and chilled and so huge animal factories were built where creatures were treated with disrespect and cruelty and disease flourished. Then we sued the factory owners and demanded more regulation.

Now it's all backfired and private citizens are harassed by the authorities for just being normal people. We asked for a 'can't do' society and now we have it. The regulations that we demanded to protect us are being used against us. One could almost believe that governments want us to be as stressed and harassed as they can possibly make us.

Let's weep for the freedoms we gave up in the search for progress. Let's regret ever trusting governments to take good care of us.

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Holy crap. If someone can't even leave your home with a gift of food... sheesh how many people will be attacked?!?! No more Christmas cookies... no more sending a casserole to a household who's had a death... this is a very scary precedent.

Please keep us posted. Unfortunately recently the US has decided to start copying other nations rather than continuing on their own forged path... I hope this isn't one idea they think has merit.

8. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I agree.. Holy Moly... That is some crazy bizness.

9. thaiturkey

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Quote:It's probably about giving away meat that you slaughtered yourself rather than shop cookies. On the other hand, if you made the cookies or casserole yourself, who knows. Can you imagine having to qualify for a licence in order to give a meal to your neighbours? And what about when you invite them round for a meal?

Still, we don't know the full story. This guy might have been butchering pigs over old engine oil cans in his garage and blood might have been flowing down into the street. It seems unlikely because his neighbours who shared the meat wouldn't have done so.

10. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

True, very true. Never can depend on the media to tell the whole story.

I've never slaughtered a pig myself, but I reckon 18lbs isn't remotely half... sooooo... so... yeah, that would qualify as a gift to me...

MIL sends over clothes, I send eggs... shall I be prosecuted as an unlicensed seller of eggs?

It's a scary thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by