1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This may be a dumb question but....

Discussion in 'Geese' started by clbarley, Mar 16, 2012.

1. clbarley

clbarley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    I have to ask. I have been looking to get two geese and one thing I have run into is they are rarely sexed. Why is that?

2. jtallant

jtallant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    OK
    I have noticed that too, but I ordered from Ideal and hopefully I actually have 3 females. My male would surely appreciate that![​IMG]

3. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Try Metzer Farms, they sex them

4. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Holderreads does for pairs.

5. clbarley

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    when you say does "pairs" that means like two sexed girls? Or what, sorry for my ignorance!

6. poultry09

poultry09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    It means one male and one female

7. clbarley

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    Thank you! You are in rainier, oregon?! I drive through there every morning to go to work!

8. poultry09

poultry09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    I just realized you where in clatskanie, that cool to know thier is some one who is on byc that lives just down the road!

9. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Females are in greater than demand than males. When a hatchery sells just females it leaves the burden of dealing with extra males on them. Usually this means culling them at day old. That's a lot of wasted geese and in large businesses results in added overhead for proper disposal according to EPA regulations. Order straight run or sexed in pairs and feel good knowing you've contributed to responsible breeding practices and haven't been the cause for any male goslings being killed at birth.

10. clbarley

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    Thank you thank you thank you for giving me a response like this! I needed to hear it. That makes complete sense and I do plan on buying as a straight run! That is horrible and would not have known unless someone told me. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by