This may be a dumb question!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Denece&Lacey, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Denece&Lacey

Denece&Lacey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Alvord, Tx
    Is there any way to keep roosters from crowing? I live in town and I got a rooster from my Grandmother and he started crowing at 5:30 this morning!! I hate to have to take him back her other rooster was beating up on him. [​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Some have had luck with keeping the rooster in a dark place until it's OK to crow

can you bring him in a garage/basement, etc in a dog crate at night?

3. Denece&Lacey

Mar 17, 2008
    Alvord, Tx
    I have a cage inside the barn. I may have to do that with him. Just until I get up in the mornings. I could cover him up with a sheet or something. Do you think that would work. I have chicks but I am new to the grown rooster thing!!!![​IMG]

4. Chickending

Chickending Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Minnesota
    Sorry but there is no way I know of to stop a rooster from crowing. It's nature.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I have heard what arlee said; that some people have kept their rooster in a completely, totally, 100% dark place (which is really hard to do) and that would keep him from crowing until later in the morning.

I don't know if that really works but would be worth giving it a try.

Roosters crow... it's in their job description (page one [​IMG]).

Maybe you could rehome him to someone that needs just one rooster and doesn't have one already. Try putting him on Craigslist or put up a notice at your local feed store.

Hope you can keep him. Good luck.

6. Denece&Lacey

Mar 17, 2008
    Alvord, Tx
    I hate to get rid of him. My Grandmother gave him to my daughter. Thats why I was trying to find a quiet solution!!

7. duckman

duckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    michigan
    with peacocks you can take out the voice box dont know about chickens

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'm not sure keeping them in the dark really helps....I've heard mine crowing in the middle of the night....with no full moon!!

9. Denece&Lacey

Mar 17, 2008
    Alvord, Tx
    Are yall in town? I just dont want the neighbors to get mad!! We always have dogs barking in our neighborhood and we live close to the train tracks. Thats just my worry is that somebody will come knock on the door and be upset about it!!

10. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I live smack dab in the middle of a big city ..and Oberon crows now ....but he also stays up late at night with his Mum, so he crows at a "decent" hour for my neighbors that are within earshot [​IMG] Besides that, they play their music ridiculously loud at indecent hours all the time, so it's a good trade off ...I think!

Maybe keep him up late at night?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by