1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This may be a silly question but...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jossette6912, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Jossette6912

Jossette6912 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2016
    Pomaria, SC
    I'm a new chicken mom! I have 2 EE's & 2 RIR's that are all about 6-7 weeks old. I'm almost 100% sure that one of my EE's is a Roo. My question is this: if he's never heard another rooster crow will he know how? Is crowing an instinctual thing or learned behavior?

2. bygracealone200

bygracealone200 Just Hatched

May 15, 2014
    There are no silly questions. I imagine that crowing is instinctual, but it takes a while for them to develop it. Their initial crowing sounds pretty hysterical.

2 people like this.
  3. greenfeathers

greenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2016
    People's Republic of MD
    I have chicks I got day old living in my garage and they have learned how to crow. So they just know. Never been around other chickens.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California

Are you saying your day old chicks CROW ??

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  5. greenfeathers

greenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2016
    People's Republic of MD
    That would be impressive!

No. They're about 8 weeks now but they are my only chickens and I got them at one day old.

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    That would be impressive!

No. They're about 8 weeks now but they are my only chickens and I got them at one day old.
    [/quote

Lol now that makes since!!

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Crowing is instinctive. Different cockerels develop at different times, different roosters crow different amounts, but crowing is instinctive.

If you can post photos showing the head, especially comb and wattles, and show the general posture and body, especially the legs, we may be able to help you tell if you really do have a cockerel. Some EE's can be a challenge but at that age we may be able to make some good guesses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by