This may be a stupid question but we have our 1st eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carenm, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Carenm

Carenm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Midland, TX
    Never had chickens before.

How do you clean them before putting in fridge?[​IMG]

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    You can wash them with warm water and a scrub brush, or if they are just a little dirty you can rub it with some sand paper. Don't use cold water because it has a better chance of getting bacteria into the egg.

And I prefer not to wash with water and to use sandpaper because washing will take off the bloom that protects the contents of the egg.

3. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I just put mine in a basket on the counter and clean them just before I cook them if they are dirty. If you wash your eggs as soon as you collect them I recommend storing them in the fridge.. [​IMG]

4. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    This may make folks laugh, but I use water & wipe them with a sham wow. It works!!

5. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    J.Pryce :

This may make folks laugh, but I use water & wipe them with a sham wow. It works!!

LOL vince should use that on the infomertial​

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Yes, and if they get over 10 days I either pickle them or stick them in the fridge. I only wash as needed, right before using. If you keep the nest boxes clean it will minimize the problem.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't wash mine until I'm ready to use them. Like Ranchhand I am religious about keeping my nestboxes clean so rarely a messy egg.
    Washing eggs removes the bloom. The bloom is like a top coat that the hen applies to the egg. It seals out dirt and bacteria. Eggs with the bloom intact can last for months - check out Mother Earth News, they've done a whole big experiment on the subject:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Fresh-Eggs.aspx

8. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

i wash mine with cool water and a scrubber.

[​IMG]

^something like that, but the one with a circle bottom.^

[​IMG]

^bottom like that^
    and i dont put soap in it

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I never scrub or sand my eggs, as this removes the bloom and can actually let bacteria into your eggs. If there is a smudge on my eggs, I wipe gently with a moist rag. Any excessively poopy eggs get given to the dogs.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:To add to that, if you must wash your eggs never wash in cool or cold water. This will cause the contents of the egg to shrink, pulling dirt and bacteria into the interior of the egg. If you must wash an egg, do so in water that is at least 20 degrees or so warmer than the egg itself.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by