This may be a stupid question but we have our 1st eggs

Carenm

Songster
10 Years
Nov 16, 2009
Midland, TX
Never had chickens before.

How do you clean them before putting in fridge?
hu.gif

You can wash them with warm water and a scrub brush, or if they are just a little dirty you can rub it with some sand paper. Don't use cold water because it has a better chance of getting bacteria into the egg.

And I prefer not to wash with water and to use sandpaper because washing will take off the bloom that protects the contents of the egg.

I just put mine in a basket on the counter and clean them just before I cook them if they are dirty. If you wash your eggs as soon as you collect them I recommend storing them in the fridge..
smile.png

J.Pryce :

This may make folks laugh, but I use water & wipe them with a sham wow. It works!!

LOL vince should use that on the infomertial​

Quote:
Yes, and if they get over 10 days I either pickle them or stick them in the fridge. I only wash as needed, right before using. If you keep the nest boxes clean it will minimize the problem.

I don't wash mine until I'm ready to use them. Like Ranchhand I am religious about keeping my nestboxes clean so rarely a messy egg.
Washing eggs removes the bloom. The bloom is like a top coat that the hen applies to the egg. It seals out dirt and bacteria. Eggs with the bloom intact can last for months - check out Mother Earth News, they've done a whole big experiment on the subject:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Fresh-Eggs.aspx

I never scrub or sand my eggs, as this removes the bloom and can actually let bacteria into your eggs. If there is a smudge on my eggs, I wipe gently with a moist rag. Any excessively poopy eggs get given to the dogs.

Quote:
To add to that, if you must wash your eggs never wash in cool or cold water. This will cause the contents of the egg to shrink, pulling dirt and bacteria into the interior of the egg. If you must wash an egg, do so in water that is at least 20 degrees or so warmer than the egg itself.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom