1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This may be a stupid question but...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dlynne1123, Jun 26, 2011.

1. dlynne1123

dlynne1123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    My little chick has a lump on the right side of her throat area. I noticed it today. I can't seem to find it on my other larger birds. Shes always been a runt so can they get tumors like mice and dogs? Or is this the crop area that is just more palpable b/c shes little and the other birds have some meat on their bones??

Dani in Maine

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    No question is a dumb one. [​IMG] Yes, you are feeling the crop. After the bird eats a lot of food, the crop will sometimes bulge out of the right side of the breast area. That is normal. As long as the bird is pooing, happy and healthy, then there is nothing to worry about. It takes about 4 hours for the contents of the crop to move to the stomach and as long as the "lump" is down in the morning, than the crop is empty. Somebirds just eat more than others so you probably have a big eater on your hands. [​IMG]

3. dlynne1123

dlynne1123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by