1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This may be a stupid question. . . Should I let my hen brood?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deborah, Sep 1, 2008.

1. deborah

deborah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    I admit I am still new to this. Everything I have read, March thru May is the best time to hatch chicks.

I have a hen who is broody right now. I've put golf balls under her and I'm letting her sit on them. I would love to put fertilized eggs under her and let them hatch, but I'm worried it would be getting very cold about the time the Mama hen left them on their own. Any pullets would be maturing in the spring when the days are getting longer (I thought I read somewhere you want them to mature when the days are getting shorter). Little chicks this time of year wouldn't have time to build up resistance to coccidiosus (however you spell that).

But I see lots of people who seem to be hatching now in incubators. Would that be different than letting a hen do it? Is my thinking wrong? As I said, I'd love to let her hatch some chicks. But I don't want to make a big mistake. Please help.

2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    We are starting some chicks now so in the spring they will be laying.

We have done chicks in both in the spring and in the fall.

The fall works great for showing the birds. They are best about 9 months of age and up to show.

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    You might want to move this to another forum to get better replies. Maybe chicken behavior, or raising chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by