this may seem like a silly question, but...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hopefulloflove, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Something I was wondering about is do your chickens stay in your yard...I want mine to be able to forage, but I rmemeber my grandpas chickens, they always kept them cooped up. Do they stay close to the coop or will they go down the road? Will they go into their coop at night on their own or will we have to shoo them in? I know that might seem like a strange question, but this is all new!

Thanks!
    Kate

2. chickensgalore

chickensgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    hillsdale,michigan
    they'll probably go in the coop at night,but if you have close neighbors.they'll like their yard alot better than yours

3. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    Mine go to the neighbors yards but stay within earshot of our house. they learned to come a runing when they hear the door of the house slam shut. (goodies were always handed out then)

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The easy one first. if you keep them locked in the coop for a while, they will come to think of it as home and return there every night to roost. I've got separate groups right now, split due to age differences. The adults go to their coop at least a half hour before sunset. The 9 week olds wait until the last second, just before dark to go in. But they all go in.

When you first let them out, say for a week or so, they will probably stay pretty close to the coop. But as they get comfortable being out and about, they tend to roam further. Mine usually stay within 400 feet of the coop, but part of that may be because of the layout of the land here. You might get some that will roam further. If you have fences, even if they can easily fly over the fence, they may tend to stay in the yard. Or you may have some that like to roam. A lot depends on your set-up and situation and the personality of your chickens.

I used to have three that liked to play in the road, a private gravel road with very little traffic. I ate the ringleader of that cabal. The others then stayed out of the road. They no longer had the ringleader to take them there.

It's not an easy one to answer because I don't think there is one asnswer for it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  5. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    How do they go into the neighbors yards ? Mine stay in our yard,we have 5 birds and they stay put, of course we have a fence . It's not a tall fence but it keeps them home lol. We let them roam all day, and at night they put them selves to bed.

6. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Thanks for your answers. We are surrounded on 3 sides by woods, and the 4th side by a horse farm, so no close neighbors. I will be keeping a close eye on them, because we do have foxes and raccoons and I want to make sure they are safe...We have about 2 acres.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have two acres and they use all of it plus a small bit of a neighbor's pasture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by