1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This may seem silly but...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beakkeeper, Aug 31, 2008.

1. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Can you train chickens to come when you call? [​IMG] I read on some goofy website that you should use a certain reassuring sound when you feed them so they know you are their friend.[​IMG] I would think that it's possible... but I really don't know. Does it depend on the breed? All the breeds we're looking at are described as "calm" some are "docile and friendly" others are just "tolerant". Any ideas?

2. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    I'm new to chickens, but all mine come when I call "here chick chick chick". I think it's because they know treats are involved! Like the cat, dog, kids and hubby, they will work for food! [​IMG]

3. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    If my chickens see me or my kids coming they flock to us...expecting a treat. My grandmother used to "call" her chickens (here chick chick chick....)when she feed them. I don't know if they were coming because of her voice or because of her presence.

4. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Quote:YES!!! Whenever I'm gonna feed 'em, I cluck at 'em like I would a horse and they come runnin 90 or nothin. Its pretty funny to see, actually!

5. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    yes you can i got a free range flock of 5 i call them they come a running right to me

6. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Chickens are just like any animal (including humans) when it comes to training them with positive or negative reinforcement . . . if you hit them or do anything they find unpleasant, they'll learn to avoid you, but if you use positive reinforcement (food!), you can teach them simple tricks, including come. Even simpler life forms such as geckos can be taught to come if they hear a certain sound that indicates food, though I doubt you could teach them up or sit like you can a chicken or dog.

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh yes, mine come when I call them ~ they come a-walkin' for the regular call, and running on tiptoes with wings flapping for the treat call! My critters of all breeds also know the "hurry - hurry!" call and race to me to hide from hawks, lightning, or whatever scary stuff is about. I know their calls too, though, such as the "feed me," the "let me out," the "whatcha got there?" and the "oooh, scary stuff flying overhead."

Now who trained whom, I have no idea. Maybe we all trained each other.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  8. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine come running toward me the minute they see me in the yard. I haven't been able to get them to come to their individual names.

I think I read that someone on this forum had a chicken that came when called by her name, but I've not been able to replicate that one. Mine hear me coming and they'll come a running. Food is an amazing incentive [​IMG]

9. caddyeldorado2006

caddyeldorado2006 Out Of The Brooder

Quote:If you want to call your chicks what i do is i bring their food, in a deli cat container with thier feed in it and shake it, if they dont come, i do a certain whistle and they come running almost falling because they are running so fast. i get to pet my golden phoenix time to time, when she spreads her wings out i know exactly the time to pet her and pick her up. she loves her neck rubbed..everyday take a container with you outside and shake it and they will get used to that sound and come to you and pour some on the ground . they will come for sure.

10. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    when i call out...LADIES....all 10 of my gals come running when my daughter calls out "girlfriend" her one black sex-link comes running she has only named this one...so I do think they know thier names

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by