This might be a weird question but...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 5SweetChicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. 5SweetChicks

5SweetChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    I have a 5 month old rooster and he has this noise he makes when he thinks he has found something special. Well in the coop we have a ladder and he goes under the ladder in the corner and makes that noise. I'm confused by it. Any ideas of what you think it is?

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    He is saying, "Hey ladies! Look at this delicious tidbit your big sexy rooster found for you! Don't you want to come eat it and marvel in my manliness?"

No seriously. That is a direct translation.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Hard to say, especially not being there watching. But he is an adolescent with hormones running crazy. Is he trying to lure a member of the opposite sex over for some hanky-panky?

4. 5SweetChicks

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    Oh maybe. Hes never really known he was a chicken. But hes silly and the girls think hes weird [​IMG]

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Yep, that is exactly what mine says too! And those silly girls..... run right over!

6. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    [​IMG] but so true.[​IMG] Our roo would run around (only had 2 hens at the time) picking up what he had and dropping saying the same thing. The girls eggnored him and he followed them till one paid attention to his sorry tail.

7. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    That's chicken for Come and get it, but they will lie about having food when there young, I think there just trying to get the girls to like them.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  8. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    A roo I had would call the girls over for a snack, then eat it in front of them and try to jump on 'em, didn't take long and the girls stopped coming to him. The roo I have now was out calling the new chicks over, they of course had nothing to do with him,,, yet.

9. 5SweetChicks

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    Thanks for the answers. I'm sure hes just trying to get their attention, but hes goofy. I think when he goes under the ladder its like a hiding spot for him.

10. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    When my rooster was young he would get into the corner next to the water that is only a little wider then he is and do the tidbit call or a sound nearly like it. At first I thought there were ants coming into the pen there. But when they stopped eating ants outside he was still doing it. I kept looking there and never saw anything. He has stopped doing it now, but I still wonder what that corner held that cause that behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by