This MN girl has a lot of questions for you...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MNfarmgirl, Mar 13, 2013.

1. MNfarmgirl

MNfarmgirl New Egg

Mar 13, 2013
    Hello everone!

I am new to BYC and would love, love, love, to peck your brain (excuse the pun). LOL!

My family, with the exception of me, is new to raising chickens. We have a Dairy Farm and milk Jersey Cows. Our milk is considered Grade A, so we cannot have chickens mingling with the cows according to the State Inspector. We will be keeping the chickens in some type of coop/shed away from the barn or pastures, with a fully enclosed spacious area outside for the free ranging effect. Our children are 5 and 4 and LOVE being outside and working with animals. They have recently joined our local 4H chapter and are excited to bring some chickens to the County Fair. I have a hidden adgenda though. I want the kids to learn so much more than just raising a chicken. Respondsibility. Relationships with animals. Caring for animals. Great work ethic. Working with money because of purchases/supplies. COOKING with the delicious eggs. Just plain old morals and values! I think this project will become much more than that, as I have read that your chickens become your pets and your obsession! :eek:)

My questions for you...
    When I was a young girl my mom and dad raised chickens to butcher and then sell. What term are those kind of chickens given? Are they called broilers?

I am familiar to raising that type of chicken, but now that I am married and have small children, I am interested in raising laying hens. Our family is going through 1-2 dozen eggs weekly, and I would love to have them on hand and fresh at a moment's notice. Which breeds do well in some seasonally harsh weather. Hot and humid in summer, very cold lots of snow and windy in winter?

We are in the process of either purchasing a shed from DakotaStorage.com or try to build one ourselves. But with spring planting being just around the corner, I will become a seasonal widow and my husband's time will not be devoted to building a chicken coop and instead channeled to driving John Deere's all day. :eek:) My question is what kind of material would you suggest for the floor of the coop part of the shed? Treated lumber? Dry Ply? Sheetmetal with chaulking all the way around? The reason I ask this, is because I want a coop that is super easy for myself and our children to clean out.

I have scoured over the Coop section of BYC and read their tips and advice. I am wondering if any of you have had good luck with keeping one side of the coop's floor 1/2" higher than the other side in order to allow easy drainage from cleanings? Pros/Cons?

I have many more questions but can't think of them at the moment. But I sure know where to come for answers when I think of them again.

Thanks for any advice you may have for my family and I! We really truly appreciate it!
    Steph

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]
    I think it's great that your kids are in 4-H and that you want them involved with chickens, I love my girls and can't wait until my daughter (she's 3) is old enough to be in 4-H! In regards to a great layer, I have a Red Star that lays big brown eggs every day, without fail. You can't beat that! My other girls lay almost daily too. Leghorns are another great layer. Not sure what is the best flooring material for your chicken coop though. You may try posting in this section to get your questions answered: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

2 people like this.
  3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Back in the 'old days' [​IMG], the cockerels that came along with the pullets were indeed killed early and called 'broilers' or 'fryers'. Welcome to bYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by