This morning hen is limping?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katelk, Oct 15, 2014.

1. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    I have a hen who is just getting past a minor case of bumblefoot. At this point she has no scab and the swelling almost totally gone. This morning, however, I noticed that she is limping. I couldn't remember which of her feet the bumblefoot was on and couldn't catch her to look at her feet. When she had to run fast she kinda galloped. It was hard to watch. It also looks like she is starting to molt. I have never had one molt before, but she is almost a year and a half old and her feathers are really faded and ratty and now she looks to be losing them all over. She looks pitiful.
    What may be causing her to limp and does this sound like a molt? What should I do for her?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most limping is caused by sprains or injuries, usually from jumping off high roosts or objects in the chicken yard. Sometimes they can be injured by an overzealous rooster. Look at the footpad, joints and leg for any swelling, bruising, or bone displacement. If she is holding up the leg, I would force her to rest it in a small cage in the coop or run, so that she can remain part of the flock. Leave her there for a week with food and water, some B Complex vitamins in her water, and examine it at the end of a week to see if she needs tor rest longer. It may take a month or so for an injury to heal.

3. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    Thank you for the info!! I was finally able to get a closer look and she is not limping on what was her bumblefoot. She has not been holding her foot up. She will still stand on two feet, but just limps really bad when she is walking. I wasn't sure what to look for when I caught her other than broken bones. I will check again for joint swelling, etc.
    Can anything be done to speed her recovery if it is something like a sprain?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by