This morning, I heard it ... one of my 16-week old "pullets" crowed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by johncampanelli, Nov 6, 2008.

1. johncampanelli

johncampanelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Hudson, Ohio
    I live in a fairly affluent suburb and have the only backyard coop within miles.

Thankfully town ordinances do not prohibit backyard poultry, IF the coop is at least 50 feet from neighbors' homes (no problem there). There's also a catch-all noise and smell ordinance that applies to all pets.

So I figured I'd get a gang of gals and we'd be fine. Eight female day-old chicks arrived in July.

Today, I heard it. A creaky but distinctive "cock a doodle do" from Buffy, my daughter's favorite bird (they are 16 weeks old). The photo below is my daughter and Buffy.

My question is: What the heck do i do?

Wait until the neighbors complain and try to bribe them with eggs when eggs come?

Be proactive and butcher Buffy?

Something else?

Thanks for the thoughts, guys!

[​IMG]

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Well first you daughter is precious, and I can see why Buffy is her favorite. I'd probably just keep him and see if anyone complains. [​IMG]

3. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I agree with Sara, in all regards! I have a bantam cochin pullet that tried crowing a few times...but I think she was just really confused! [​IMG] Maybe Buffy is a little confused too?

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    That picture is absolutely adorable!

5. mipsy6

mipsy6 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    My hens, who are laying so I know they are girls, do a cluck/crow thing every morning. It's not a cock-a-doodle really, but when I first heard it I worried they were boys. You might want to wait and make sure Buffy is really a rooster before you give it away.

Plus, Buffy is so cute!

6. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    If that picture doesn't "sell" the idea of having chickens to ANYONE, I don't know what will.

I would be proactive and bake some treats with eggs, and give them to the neighbors before they come to you. A little goodwill.

7. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:No kidding!! What a cutie pie!

I agree with being proactive. Make some bribery gifts for the neighbors. If someone complains though you might have no choice but to get rid of the crowing one.

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I'd do the egg thing too, but since they are only 16 weeks I doubt that they are even laying. Give it a little while and make sure. I had 4 roos and my neighbors don't complain. They all like it. Well, except one and her dog is so noisy we just remind her that dogs make a lot of noise too and she shuts right up. [​IMG]

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG] Sorry about Buffy... here is a pic of our Buffy, just after HE started crowing.

[​IMG]

His name became Sir Buffington... Buffy for short. [​IMG]

10. joyful-homemaker

joyful-homemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    central ohio
    our neighbors are more bothered by our barking dogs than our roos![​IMG] At least if they are bothered, they never complain. They all buy eggs too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by