This morning up early with the dreaded fear of my bird may be gone??????

Farming Feathers

Chirping
Aug 19, 2017
This writing I hope has a happy ending, but for now I have reason for concern. Two days ago I saw a local dog in hot pursuit of a grey fox and it was no contest the fox with it's bush like tail sticking straight back and head held erect moved leaps and bounds ahead of the dog and gone in a flash across the road and into the bushes across from my fence line where I first noticed the pursuit began...though it could have been further down the road as the fox as more than 10 feet ahead of the dog.
That pursuit was not my alarm and concern for my hen that came two days later, for once having seen a predator leave the road across from my fence line I started watching that location and with no surprise saw the fox cross the road on my side of the fence line, but it quickly vanished...till yesterday about 10:30 AM when I saw the fox again coming from the bush area crossing the road towards my fence line only more direct toward the fence area...not to be seen again till dusk last night and then only caught a movement not an actual sighting but sure it was the fox.
It was after dark my wife came from outside concerned because Fancy Chicken as we call her was not found at her usual roosting areas...though we both went out for a look around it was too dark and not the first time she has not stayed at her roost...she likes to sleep on the gate of the chain link fence, or on the gate of another chain link fence in the patio on more than one occasion she spent time next door with other sister birds she use to flock with...so there is hope she is alright, but never before was a fox seen in the area in the same approximate time frame.
My last sighting of fancy chicken was made just 40 minutes ahead of the glimpse sighting of the fox. Fancy always puts on a good feed before bedding down for the evening (she is a free ranging hen). My look out the window and seeing nothing as a threat...I finished up my computer work which took me till dusk and my last sighting of the fox.
I closed the window blind with a quick check for Fancy, but didn't see her at the yard fence roost so concluded she must be in the patio roost for the night and let my wife know where she may be roosting. My wife goes out and pets fancy each night giving her confidence we care for her while I finish up the evening...then I later go and pet the girl for the last good night greeting. It was then my wife came in with concern she was missing.
It is now time for me to go look for my girl.

Great news Fancy chicken is alive and well in the patio feeding at the hen house :thumbsup
Now I will see if I can contact my neighbor as we both need to try and find a trapping solution to remove the fox without having to harm the animal.
May need to go back to bed and finish getting some sleep only had 3 hours due to worry about my girl.

I would start locking that Hen up...The Fox will get her now that it knows a possible meal is in your yard...They hunt and travel day or night..They have a 10km radius they travel..I have a 3 year Fox problem...Live traps do not work..Fox are way too smart..We shoot at any opportunity...

I am glad your bird is alright but I agree with the others. Your hens need a secure coop. You are seeing one particularly bold fox but I'd bet there are more that you are not seeing. Plus the myriad of other predators out there just waiting for the opportunity. It's great fun to let birds free range and choose for themselves where to sleep but those birds usually don't survive long.

I thank all the concerned response and I'm trying to secure my hen fast as possible within my means. She is a wonderful bird and I would be most downhearted if anything happens to her...I have the coop built, but the run is not yet fenced in. Once the area is complete will add more hens to keep her company...her former flock sister didn't like our dog and now stay with my neighbors chickens. I'm trying to find a loaner or rental live trap to remove the fox from our area...hopefully it is not a female with kits. Grey fox can be difficult to trap and they don't burrow like red fox so finding the lair would take long term observations to pinpoint the area and what tree is home...they climb.

I thank all the concerned response and I'm trying to secure my hen fast as possible within my means. She is a wonderful bird and I would be most downhearted if anything happens to her...I have the coop built, but the run is not yet fenced in. Once the area is complete will add more hens to keep her company...her former flock sister didn't like our dog and now stay with my neighbors chickens. I'm trying to find a loaner or rental live trap to remove the fox from our area...hopefully it is not a female with kits. Grey fox can be difficult to trap and they don't burrow like red fox so finding the lair would take long term observations to pinpoint the area and what tree is home...they climb.
Even if you remove this one Fox, your bird will not be safe in its current situation. The problem isn't the Fox. The problem is the lack of protection. Securing your coop and run should be your priority if you want this hen to survive..

I would start locking that Hen up...The Fox will get her now that it knows a possible meal is in your yard...They hunt and travel day or night..They have a 10km radius they travel..I have a 3 year Fox problem...Live traps do not work..Fox are way too smart..We shoot at any opportunity...
if you area is trapped heavy you're right they won't work...other times their sense of smell is acute and must use boiling water to remove human sent on trap if there is a natural scented plant in your area rub them on the trap with gloved hands ...fox (grey) like fish and mostly sardine in oil..Where I am there is no trapping so it should work well if I leave no scent on cage. but I don't see any scented plants for hiding human smell.

Back
Top Bottom