1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This must be HATCH DAY because I have some hatching too! UPDATED PICS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chellester, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    I have 15 Silkie eggs from J.J. (a.k.a. Napalongtails) that are starting to hatch! [​IMG]

3 of them are pipping right now, and the rest are peeping and rocking their eggs. The start of day 20 for them is tonight.

UPDATE:

Here's the pics (finally!) as promised. I can't believe they're a week old tomorrow already!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I pulled them out of the brooder for pics on their naptime, because after a minute:
    [​IMG]

J.J., if you're out there, any ideas of what colors I might have here?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    YAY!! for you, too! I would love to see these Silkies! I've heard a lot of great things about Napalongtails' Silkies.

3. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Yeah![​IMG] How cool is that! Hatch, babies, hatch!

You guys are making me so excited for my guinea eggs to get here and get started on them.

4. Chellester

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Motherhenandflock, that's great to hear! I'm glad we're inspiring you! [​IMG]

5. johnnam

johnnam Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2007
    sweet home, OR
    Tonight is night 21 for my first set of eggs. I bought them on ebay and only had six of 18 develope and then one of them died. So I am really nervous, Iwill be happy if even one chick makes it. My eggs or silver polish and they are rocking but no peeping, do all chicks peep before they pip? Will they start rocking more the closer they get to hatching?

Good luck with your eggs! who is jj and where does he live? I would love to get some silkie eggs

6. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Interesting that hatchday comes so close to a full moon.
    Grats all on your hatching.

7. spudchild

spudchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Nashville
    Quote:Who did you buy them from? I've bought off ebay and had really bad luck. I bought from LeonValleyTradingCompany. Out of 18 eggs I had 4 hatch. 1 was stuck in the egg, and I had to help it out. None of the are what I ordered, which was Bantam BB OEGB and Bantam Patridge Cochins..in fact 2 of them aren't even bantams. They are really cute, but will be sold to a farm, since they aren't pure bred. I'm dissapointed as I paid pure bred prices for the eggs.

I just ordered from Black Forest Poultry in Kentucky. I'm hoping to have better luck from them.

8. johnnam

johnnam Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2007
    sweet home, OR
    I bought them from Exotic Poultry. They came clear from South Carolina and I didn't have things ready for when they came. So it may be my fault. I did order some chicks from a farm here in Oregon and I am picking them up on the 9th. I just couldn't stand it any longer... I want some chicks.:[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  9. Chellester

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    JJ lives in Washington and goes by the username Napalongtails here at BYC. You can look her up in the user list above.

When the eggs get ready to hatch, you will usually see them rock, then you can hear them peeping, then they will start to pip. But that's not written in stone, and I've had eggs that never seemed to move or make a sound until they started pipping. Also, they will start and stop all of the aformentioned... for example, if the egg rocks for a while, then stops for a while, this is normal.

10. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Let us know when then hatch! Mine hatched last weekend and I would be interested in the color you get.

Mine are so pretty!

jackie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by