This old Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RWise, Jan 29, 2013.

1. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I need some thoughts here, I have a wellsummer hen, she was in bad sad shape when I got her, comb almost white, feathers faded. She came with several others as well they all look better and some have started laying. But this old gal, her comb still has a bit of whitish color in it, over all she looks much better, still no laying. Now, I have found 3 random eggs laying about, (over several months) nice large eggs not from a pullet. I have also found a leather under the roost which at first I though to be one of my pullets, but they were not old enuf to start and no red in their combs at that time. Went out to check on a commotion in the hen house (Rooster was concerned too and got there first) a little EE hen (not pullet just small) came running out just before he went in. When I got there the wellsummer hen and he were on the roost (she is very tame) I picked her up and sat her on a mezzanine (deck area), talked to her and petted her. After a bit she became quit excited, so I turned and walked out. Went back out about an hour later to harvest eggs, on the mezzanine where she had been setting were 2 leathers, 1 xtra large and 1 medium in size about 2" apart and still warm. I think these 3 random eggs were from her, and the 3 leathers as well. Any rooster I have had goes for her, and she readily squats. She spends a lot of time in the run. or setting in the shade or on the roost. All free range (pasture) and she will go scratch a bit, they have toasted crumbled egg shell and oyster shell all they want, whole grains, fresh greens all they want, treats and table scraps. I have also just started putting DE in their morning grain served wet and warm. I also put DE and ash in the places they dust bath. All the other hens tell me they have everything they need to be healthy and lay 6-7 eggs per week per bird laying. I was told she was 2 1/2 when I got her, 3 this spring, so I think she should still have life in her. For now she is not with the main flock.

Any Ideas on how to revive this old hen? Is she just to old? Do I just need to cull her, or?

Thanx!

2. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    Oh and where she came from she was feed only laying pellets and water, the "run" was mowed!

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    cant tell you about the eggs as I haven't had that problem, but shes not to old. I had hens laying eggs at 10 years old (not many eggs mind you). Hopefully someone can help you

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If her comb is still pale, shes probably still working out some issues. If her body is still focusing on getting better, its provably not putting much effort into egg production (the only thing I can think of). As she continues to get better, and judging by your description of her condition that may take a while, her eggs probably will too.
    Another side note: you'll probably want to stop mixing the DE into wet feed. That stuff is useless when it gets wet, so you're just wasting it by getting it wet. If you're mixing it into their dust bath, its highly likely they're eating plenty anyway....
    Good luck!
    Nikki

5. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    Thanx, I will keep trying to recover her for a while, an odd thing to me is her comb is red on one side and whitish on the other. Another thing is she gets excited when a roo comes near acts like she is thinking of running and then squats.

6. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    Her comb must be damaged, still white on one side, but she is now laying! She made a nest and dropped 1 more leather and then light brown eggs! Now to work her back into the flock,,,,,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by