This one goes out to the little guys

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by duckncover, Sep 13, 2011.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are my little guys.
    Gizmo & Pearl are my cockatiels
    [​IMG]
    Cosmo & Wanda are my parakeets
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and Bella is my dad's green cheek conure that recently got bitten by my Eclectus Parrot and is lucky to be alive.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She has a split beak but is fine and eating well. She got soem antibiotics at the vet and we've been keeping the cut clean. They really appreciate some time out of the cage to goof off and Bella is such a cuddle bug. And I thought Cuddles would be the cuddly one, haha.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Cute! Poor little thing, bitten by that big Electus! Glad he's doing well!

3. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Yeah it was horrible. I had all the little birds out and my eclectus is extremely jealous AND smart. He opened up his door and snuck up and bite poor Bella. She should be fine though.

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    I find hen Eclectus to be such bad tempered birds, I know there's exception but ours are grump [​IMG]

Im pleased your little conure survived the attack [​IMG]

5. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Female Eclectus have been selected by nature for an aggressive temperament, due to the species' breeding behaviors. I did a presentation on a study that was done on them in Australia. This video clip shows the author of the study (and several others...he's been researching them for years now), and some information on their breeding behavior, which is rather unique in the bird world. In captivity, they don't HAVE to be cranky, territorial and possessive, but their "default setting" is sort of programmed that way.

I'm coming to a new appreciation for the "little guys." Growing up, my grandmother had cockatiels and some budgies, but she kept them in a room, in individual cages, and let them out as a flock. They weren't very friendly to people (except for two cockatiels), mostly because they would rather spend time with the other birds. My "real pet" experiences came from the larger parrots. Then last spring, I started working in a lab with budgies and zebra finches. I definitely have my favorite(s) in there now, including three female budgies who go to the bottom of their cages when they see me, because that's where they like to sit while I rub their bellies. I might end up taking one of them with me when I graduate next May.

[​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I much rather have smaller birds as I can house them correctly. I find it hard to meet the demands of a larger parrot as they require lots of room and lots of entertainment! I've fostered cockatoos and the such but never kept them for over a month.

I've learned the little birds are much more fun than the big birds!

7. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    @duckncover, as weird to most bird owners say, im envious of your wild type budgies! i have all these blues and fancy colors etc on mine, but hope one day to have a nice little flock of all wild type colors. not that i dont love the looks and especially personalities of my multi colored and patterned budgies i have now (eight), but just like the "plain" wild look more, but its impossible to find the nice "keet camo", anymore.

8. guineahen14

guineahen14 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Shelbyville Tn
    Your birds are adorable. I have five cockatiels and one green cheek conure. I am happy to read your conure will be Ok. I used to work for a vet and I remember when a cockatiel was brought in after being attacked by a large parrot. It had landed on the parrots cage and the larger bird bit one of it's toes off. I believe it is best to have birds all around the same size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by