This one has me suspicious??? Barred rock Roo or Pullet

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littlebirdoz, Jun 14, 2011.

1. littlebirdoz

littlebirdoz Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    Ok so 9 weeks old possibly a little older. The feathers are dark but the comb and wattles are very pink. She does have a darker line down the front of the leg. I have no idea how to identify rooster feathers. I would love any input here.
    [​IMG]

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

It is pretty light for a female, but I think it still looks a little too dark to be a roo and if you're seeing dark areas on the leg then it's more than likely a pullet.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    pullet...
    here is a shot of my new pullet:
    [​IMG]

here is a shot of my roo...notice the coloring difference?
    [​IMG]

4. littlebirdoz

littlebirdoz Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    Yes the difference is pretty obvious. Thanks:)

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I cant add or help on sexing these guys but Im glad you posted as I have 3 8 week olds that I sexed as day olds as ALL roos--I have culled 3 of them for being roos that I know of. The other 3 are still awaiting final results-I go back and forth everyday. So the females will be darker in coloration? Is that always the case?

thank you

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Could go either way. I posted a 10 week pic of a barred something and it was judged as roo, due to it most likely being a cross. Has dark feathers, dark wash on legs, but ... big comb and wattles![​IMG]

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:So you still dont know what it is?

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
  9. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

The combs on B rocks can vary a lot. There are people that have posted pics of roos with very small combs and hens with giant combs and under the pics they always say, "believe it or not, but this is a ....." So typically the males will be very light and almost grey with the coloration and the legs on the males should be yellow/orange without any black shading. In the pic that was first posted the legs look really thick and the tail feathers look kind of roo like and the comb is developed fairly well, however, the feather color is on the dark side and the legs have dark shades on them, so I still gotta go with it being a pullet.

After reading the above post with link, I'm back to being clueless, lol. Anything goes unless you're sure it's a pure BR.

2 of mine below, left female and right male
    [​IMG]

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:So you still dont know what it is?

Nope, looked like a barred rock, but it was a mystery egg from lovins so could also be a cross, in which case the gender 'darker w/wash' rule for pullets would not apply. It isn't crowing yet, that's all I know. [​IMG] I am assuming mine is a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by