This One Is About Chicken Poo!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mandylovespets, Apr 15, 2008.

1. mandylovespets

mandylovespets Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    I was wondering if fresh chicken poo is good for the lawn???... Or if fresh poo is too hot and instead will kill the lawn?... Is chicken poo even good for the lawn?...

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    As long as you do not have to much poo in one place it seems to work ok for the lawn. I definiatly think there is a period where the poo cools off and then the lawn will sprout up greener then ever. I use a pasture system for my chickens so the setup gets moved once a day I live on about and acre and the lawn / field has not gotten worn out yet.

Good Luck,
    Henry

3. mandylovespets

Apr 3, 2008
    Thanks for your input Henry!!! What about a new lawn, we are planning on maybe having our yard lanscaped and having grass planted because our yard is just dirt and weeds. Mostly stickers, ugh! [​IMG] hate stickers!!! Would it be ok to use chicken poo as a fertilizer for freshly planted grass seed???....

4. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Chicken manure is typically high in nitrogen which will burn the lawn if spread too thickly, especially a new lawn with a growing root system. You can use it but it would be best to compost it to decrease the potential nitrogen burn.

Jim

5. mandylovespets

Apr 3, 2008
    Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

it would be best to compost it to decrease the potential nitrogen burn.

Jim

How do you compost chicken manure?...​

6. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    As long as your do doesn't get to deep in one spot, your lawn will love it. [​IMG]

7. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I compost my chicken poop in my composter with everything else. I found a nice compact composter at Sam's Club for $40. It works really well, is made of recycled plastic and is made in Canada.

8. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    So does everyone scrape it off the porch into the compost? lol

9. mandylovespets

Apr 3, 2008
    Quote:I think that pile (the compost pile) would build up pretty quick lol! Depending on how often you would be able to throw some on the lawn to fertilize... But my backyard is pretty small so I think a lot of it is going to have to go into trash!!!...... [​IMG] I just thought of a possibly weird question lol! Has anyone ever sold compost, made of chicken manure???....

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My compost pile has the normal food/veggie scraps and such, garden weeds and the pine shavings and poo from the brooder. Chicken poo should compost 1 year to be used best in a garden for veggies...flowers I am not sure how long.

Straight it is too hot. You are talking a substances that can make grass grow on a rock!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by