1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This Orpington Cockeral is turning out to be the Largest male I have

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BamaChicken, Feb 28, 2008.

1. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I can't believe at 9 months how huge he is. Larger than blue boy or my Splash. This is my mottled/Pied or whatever genetic odditity he is. Wish the pics did him justice. Here are a few of him and his pen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have him in with the largest pullets I have and His mother so whoever hatches chicks from these should have some very large chickens when they mature.
    [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    He is very handsome...My black I hatched from your eggs is a way bigger boy than my blue.....

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    OMGosh, he is gorgeous. What color is he? What were his parents? :eek:

4. 4F FARM

4F FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    North Idaho
    Wow! He is gorgeous. At nine months is really is a big boy.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Julie, have you tried to weigh him yet? I tried to weigh Suede, but my scale isn't sensitive to smaller numbers; we did that thing where DH weighs himself, then holds Suede then subtracts the diff. It came out to just over 10 lb. Suede just turned a year old this month. I think he weighs a little more than that myself, but I dont have a good scale for weighing birds!

6. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Question # 1. this is his mother when I first saw her. His sire was a large black Orp Cock.
    [​IMG]

Cyn I haven't tried weighing him yet. He is taller and wider than my other Roosters. I can't even imagine how he will look by two yrs.

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    So weigh yourself, then pick up suede and hold him and weigh yourself again. Then take the difference.

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    He is beautiful Julie. [​IMG]

Jody

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Your orps are just beautiful! Oh my hands itch for eggs!

10. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Wow he is beautifull! can I please be in line for sme eggs out of that pen??? Would love a few of those. I did not know the orps came in mottled. how awsome.

Let me know when I can get some of those eggs!

Kimberly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by