this poor chick has been trying to hatch since 10:00 2day

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Berynn, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    When do I intervene? It is going on 11 hours, and she isn't really trying to hatch anymore is she just resting for another round. She is almost half way out. I would really like for the chick to do all the work. [​IMG]

2. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    Or should I say half way zipped

3. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    Mine went all day and all night. The next morning I helped it out. It was stuck to the shell. I would give it until the morning.

4. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    Is this skip and Dawn

5. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    It is almost half way zipped, every now and then I see it move but it is no longer nipping at her shell. I turned the lights off so that she can rest. I flash a little flash light on the chick to see what it is doing. The other chick wont leave her alone.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I Like to wait at LEAST 24 hours after pip before helping, or day 21, which ever is last. Sometimes they can make it early, and get a jump start, but realize half way though that they hurt... and its because they aren't yet fully adsorbed, so stop and rest for 6-12 hours more. If any intervention is needed, day 22 is where I begin, as any earlier you risk causing the little guy to bleed out. I suspect though, if half zipped, and he's not out by tomrrow, he may have dried out. Humidity going well in there? Just don't open it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by