This poor chicken fell off a chicken truck. What's wrong w/ her :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GA_Gypsy, Jun 25, 2011.

1. GA_Gypsy

GA_Gypsy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    N. Georgia
    Neighbor found this chicken while driving through Mississippi at a gas station last week. She knew I'd take it in so she drove it home. We put her in with our other 6 hens, but after a few days they started pecking at her and so we had to seperate her. Absolutely no idea what is wrong. My husband said her poop looked a little questionable, too. Any ideas as to what that is? I feel so sorry for her. Who knows what they put her through. I'd love for her to have a nice retirement here but I'll try the best I can [​IMG] Thanks!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    if she fell off a chicken truck,could be road rash,or she is a battery hen and she has battery butt. she needs alot of work and care.

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Not sure what's wrong (hopefully an expert will be along shortly), but just wanted to say next time make sure to quarantine any new chickens for a month if you possibly can.. Juuuust in case!

That said, it's really nice of you to take in a poor battery chicken! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    did she look like that before or after your chickens starting pecking at her? She may have been sore and their pecking made it worse. Battery chickens are raised under the worst conditions - hope she didn't expose your flock to a bunch of problems. You should keep her separated from them and check her head to toe for mites, lice, - would dust her for them anyway. If she seems well enough I would worm her just in case.

Being in clean surroundings with room to stretch, and good feed she should be feeling alot better. Maybe some Blue kote on her behind but first check very well to see she has no maggots aggravating her sore spots.

5. hippiechook

hippiechook Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    manildra, nsw, australia
    [​IMG] oh the poor thing!!! that is so sad!
    Well done for taking her in and well done to your friend for her quick thinking you would!
    BUT i agree that you should quaranteen her and check her fully for lice, maggots or any other problems she MAY have Treat her for mite and worms anyway and also treat your other girls since they have been in contact with her also .... i'm no expert but i have had my chooks for a while and these are the things i would do ....if she wasnt like that before your chooks started on her then maybe you need to take her out and slowly get them used to her?
    anyway good luck hope it all works out for her and you [​IMG]

6. GA_Gypsy

GA_Gypsy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    N. Georgia
    Well, so far we gave her a gentle bath with a little baby shampoo and sprayed her backside with some hydrogen peroxide. Gave her a few veggies, but she seemed to love the BOSS. But I was wondering....if she fell of the chicken truck, is there a way to tell if she was a meat chicken or an egg chicken? My hubby thinks she's a meat chicken. For some reason he thinks she's young. I really hope so. I'd love to take care of her and give her a good home!

BTW, after her bath she is drying up so white! No maggots or any other obvious issues on her butt, but we are TOTAL chicken newbies so what do we know????? [​IMG]

BUT if anyone at all has anymore input....PLEASE let me know!

My husband could not BELIEVE he was giving a chicken a bath tonite.....PICS TO FOLLOW! LOL

7. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Doesn't look like a meat chicken to me, your pics show her standing up. Meaties usually just lie around and eat, but maybe not. However, she could be one, she looks a bit too stocky to be an egg chicken.

An egg chicken would likely be a White Leghorn, they are slim and will lay large white eggs. If she came off a truck, she would be about 2 years old, still laying well.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  8. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Was her butt already like that before you introduced her to your flock and they pecked on her?

Go to TSC or southern states (or feedstore that carries a good few horse supplies) and get "Blue Kote" - its an antiseptic wound spray - it masks a wound so flies and other chickens aren't attracted to the red skin/blood and less likely to peck.

Keep her seperated for a few days, wipe the raw areas of her bum every day clear of dirt, and spray "blue Kote" all over. she'll be purple butted for awhile...

As for breed...I say a meatie. Why? Shes stocky and white with big thick whitish/pale legs. If shes a meatie shes VERY young, but as a meat bird you will have to closely maintain her feed intake and allow her to free range. If you let her eat as much as she wants she will put on massive weight too fast and die of a heart attack - production meat chickens are a human made cross and typically aren't meant to live long. However I've heard of meaties living 2-3 years happily until dying naturally - when fed low protein/fat feed and allowed to free range on grasses and such - they keep themselves fit that way.

Good luck

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  9. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    If she is a battery hen then living all the time in a small wire bottom cage may have caused her injury/irritation on the backside. I would just keep it clean and treat with antiseptic spray, blue kote, or neosporin until it heals and hopefully grows in feathers. Either way, whether she pulls through or not, you are good people for taking her in and giving her comfort and care. Also, I too recommend at least a 30 day quarintine from any of your other birds....just to be safe. Good luck. [​IMG]

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I can't really see the whole bird in the pics, but I "think" you have a Cornish cross cockeral. I see some saddle feathers trying to hang on in the first pic, and some mighty fine wattles in the second pic. If it fell off a chicken truck it was probably on the way to be processed. [​IMG]

I would advise a lot of TLC, Blu-Kote spray and hopes for the best. He may not live long, but he'll be happy and that counts for a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by