this problem is new to me

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LovesAGoodYolk, Mar 17, 2016.

1. LovesAGoodYolk

LovesAGoodYolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2015
    Iroquois Cnty IL
    [​IMG]
    what is going on here? she is the only one like this. I bathed her hind quarters. thanks

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    I can't tell where that is on her, did she pluck herself going broody, did something try to catch her, is it from an overbearing roo?

3. LovesAGoodYolk

LovesAGoodYolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2015
    Iroquois Cnty IL
    I have no roosters. she isn't broody. she did have a rather dirty behind, so I bathed her. The area is her hind end below the vent. the big soft area.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It's really hard to tell in the photo what I'm looking at, but as per your description, it sounds like she has either vent gleet or possibly an infected vent from egg binding or a worm or mite infestation.

Does she walk normally? Or like a penguin?

Was she very messy with runny smelly poop and red swollen vent (vent gleet)?

Or just really runny messy from diarrhea (worms)?

Could she be infested with mites, which can cause a lot of skin irritation and feather loss at the vent?

Check for those things to see if maybe one of those is the answer.

My thoughts,
    LofMc

5. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    could one of your other hens pluck her? Another option is that some poop go too heavy and it pulled the feathers out I have heard of this happening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by