1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This pullet looks like a chipmunk!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by raventearsx, Apr 15, 2011.

1. raventearsx

raventearsx Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2010
    Terlingua, TX
    During my egg check this morning, I noticed that one of my buff Brahma pullets has some severe swelling going on.

Both earlobes are swollen, making her look like a chipmunk or a kid with mumps.

No other birds are affected and she has been quarantined in the sick pen. I can't be sure when it began because I have been away from the farm for a week (DH has been looking after the critters, but he is not as attuned as I am).

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks in advance.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    sounds like some kind of infection going on, maybe ear? might be a good idea to start her on some antibiotic. could you tell if she had any owund or scratches ,cuts to the area. but if both sides probably not a wound. I'll try and find out what is the best type of antibiotic to use. And very sorry about this.
    Just finished reading about ear infections in chickens, does she have any discharge or is there anything in her ears like yellow solid stuff? The American Poultry Ass. recommends SMD Sulfadimthoxine for ear infections, sulfa drugs.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Could she have gotten stung by something?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by