This Really Makes Me Mad!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Robo, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Okay so I did an experiment with an LG and a home made. The LG just had it's eggs taken away because the temp was all over the place. Now I put a PC fan in it and set the temp back. So the next bator is a cardboard box with an incukit in it. The incukit is a fan thermostat and heating element kit. So the cardboard box bator temp range has been between 99.4* and 100*. Not bad at all, the Lg's temp was 99.0 to 103.7. Should I just hatch eggs in a cardboard b ox from now on? The temp ranges were in the last hour, maybe an hour and a half. The incukit is awesome!!! But the LG makes me so mad... Any comments?[​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    My experience is that the LG is really hard to get stable, but once you hit that magic number and don't touch it it will stay that temp like a charm.

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    LGs are pieces of POO! As far as the cardboard box goes, I doubt that you could get your humidity up to where you need it, (or keep it from getting too high) with the absorption factor of the box...maybe line the cardboard with something else??

4. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    My only concern with the cardboard box is that it would likely suck alot of humidity instead of allowing the eggs to have what they need.

I dry incubate but that would still make me wonder. All you can do is try with some eggs you won't be terribly upset about not hatching.

5. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I have some quail eggs laying around so I will set 10 of them. I think I will line the box with tar paper or foam. I think I can squeeze a turner into it.[​IMG]

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I'd go with the tar paper. The foam is going to add lots of insulation, and might throw your temps way off...

7. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Yeah, I thought about that. I just stapled tar paper to it and it went up by a degree so I will turn it down a hair.

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Cool - keep us posted!

9. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Hey Robo

You fell a victim of LG (Little Monster) also?

It is obvious that a cardboard box with a lightbulb stuck in it is more stable than LG.

If you also throw a thermostat and a fan in it you,ve got a dream bator (comparing to LG).

LOL

10. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I am a victim, this is two times this has happened. No more! The incukit was for my Redneck Sportsman project, but the saw broke. At least I have a temporary bator though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by