This roo ran away into the woods!!!?

Birdmom2020

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
Yadkin river area NC
Okay guys so my husband was doing alot of research as we alwant our babies to be free range. He found alot of posts on here saying that getting a roo would help keep our birds in the right place even if we had to keep them separated for a while at first. So we got a roo who is 8 months old. He was doing great. Very friendly and gentle with my kids but we kept him away from the babies to be safe. I went to give him some feed in the makeshift coop we made for him for the time being and he escaped. He took off thru our yard and flew (literally) into the woods across the street! Does anyone know of what I can do to try and hoax him back or is he just gone now?

🐓🐓🐓 UPDATE!!
Okay I finally caught my roo! (We named him Diffie after finding out my favorite singer passed away🥺😭) so he is home now and he is fine. He wandered the woods and even crossed the road about 1/4 mile down and was hanging out perched in the trees!! The people that helped me catch him said to clip his wings.. I've never heard of that! I mean I have for house birds but not chickens!? Has anyone else heard of this??

Last edited:
This pic is my yard and the road he went across into the woods.

Attachments

• IMG_20200331_145412535.jpg
    IMG_20200331_145412535.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Maybe try bread chickens love that. I would definitely go searching for him though since he most likely won't come back on his own. Normally when you want to free-range chickens you lock them up in their coop for at least two weeks so they know it is there home. Just a tip for when you start free-ranging. By the way is he the only chicken you have in the coop chickens get lonely he might have been looking for a friend.

Maybe try bread chickens love that. I would definitely go searching for him though since he most likely won't come back on his own. Normally when you want to free-range chickens you lock them up in their coop for at least two weeks so they know it is there home. Just a tip for when you start free-ranging. By the way is he the only chicken you have in the coop chickens get lonely he might have been looking for a friend.
I've had my original bird in their coop for a few weeks now. I let them out about an HR a day free and they go right back in. I didn't mean to let the roo out. He escaped while I was feeding him.

Back
Top Bottom