1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This Rouen is confusing me....new at raising ducks & need your opinion please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckee, Aug 11, 2014.

Boy or girl?

Poll closed Aug 31, 2014.
  1. Boy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Girl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Duckee

Duckee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    This Rouen is confusing me. Bumble is 13 weeks old and showing signs of boy and girl. Bumble has a LOUD voice and the beak is like a female coloring and NO drake feather, no white ring around neck. But now grey feathers are coming in and there is a green shine on the head and a faint olive/purple on the top wing feathers. Bumble is also very tiny. Look at pics and let me know what you think please. If a boy, how long does it take to fully transform?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Right now, I would say that it is a duck, not a drake. However, I am not a duck expert, and could very well be wrong.

3. Duckee

Jun 11, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    Well it's confirmed....SHE laid her first egg today. She didn't want any part of it, maybe because it is cracked? I was told she wouldn't begin laying until next spring because she would hit maturity too late in the season...she had other plans! LOL She is 24 weeks old. She is a small rouen and she breed with a jumbo pekin...and here is the result. I would consider it a medium to small size for a duck egg. Or an extra large chicken egg size.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Thanks for the update!

5. Duckee

Jun 11, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    Your welcome. Sorry it took so long to get on here. Thanks for answering my question :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by