This Serama chick isn't fluffy, its feathery...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Camelot Farms, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

This little chick hatched yesterday and it doesnt look like my other fluffy butts. Its feathery, not fluffy/fuzzy.

Could it be a silky Serama?

Edited for spelling. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Hard telling until the real feathers start to come in. I see what you mean though, it is fluffy.

3. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    is she from the incubator, sometimes chicks dry werd when the humidity is off, if that is the case, it will probably fluff out normal in a few days

4. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Mine don't seem to be fluffy.

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    here are some chicks from the bator that kinda were like that

[​IMG]

they always come out perfect when mom hatches them

[​IMG]

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Thanks all! It could have just been the humidity level. And sadly this morning I found her dead in the brooder. So, I will never know...

Serama are so frail. [​IMG]

7. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:[​IMG] That's too bad.

8. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

AWW I'm sorry!! I had one serama egg in the incubator it never hatched [​IMG]

9. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    if you dont mind me asking...........what do you think of seramas i have the opprotunity to buy some and i was wondering if that would be a good idea

10. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Quote:Tyler, I don't have Seramas myself, but a good friend of mine has them and she LOVES them. There are some very specific issues with them though, and they aren't an easy breed to have. You MUST keep them inside during the winter. They are not at all cold hardy as they were developed in Indonesia, so they can't take the cold or cool weather. My friend says they breed easily and naturally and the hens are very broody. For some reason the breeders incubate eggs a lot, I think it's because the hens are so small that they can't cover very many eggs at one time, but anyway, the eggs do not do well in an incubator and rarely hatch. She says so far, most of hers have made it to the half way point and die. I gave her my incubator to see if a step up in incubators would make a difference, so she's watching a new batch right now and says it looks hopeful. She says as far as disposition and personality is concerned there is nothing that compares to them. She has cochins and silkies but the seramas have stolen her heart. They are very small, so even though you need to keep them inside, they don't take up much room, and they don't eat much so feed is cheap. Really their only down points are their inability to handle the cold and not being able to incubate them, otherwise they seem to be the perfect pet chicken. Oh and she says they are a blast to show. They do what is called "table top showing" where they get them out and have them strut around on top of the table. The cuter and more personable they are the better, it's a major part of what makes them a serama! [​IMG] How sweet is that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by