This Silkie is a Pain in the Buttocks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wbruder17, Feb 6, 2012.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have 2 Silkies. One is my hatching machine. She goes brooody and doesn't give a hoot WHERE I put her or what I do to her... she's a hatching fool!

My OTHER silkie, also goes broody all the time, but won't set where I need to move her to. She "doesn't like it there". She wants to be in the coop, taking up a nest box and fouling up the egg production, as its ALWAYS the favorite laying box she wants to bogart.

I said "tough doody, chicken" tonite. She's in a completely darkened broody hutch and I put eggs in there. She's actually sitting on them for now, but we will see how she feels about it in the morning. Royal Pain in the Buttocks, this one is.

2. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    When I saw that headline, I knew it had to be you!

Good luck with her.

I put the eggs under my girl tonite. She got a bit testy about halfway through and tried a few half-hearted pecks/bites and I pecked her on the head. I hope I got them all far enough underneath her and/or she moves them around to her liking. There was another white egg under there again tonite...someone else really likes that box. I should get a broody cam...

3. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Hey Prtldchick! I'm sure she will adjust herself accordingly! Silkie has found her "spot" and has the eggs, so tomorrow will tell!

It was AWESOME to meet you and its very cool that I actually know someone on here!

Are those your dogs in your avatar? And did you make it to Wilco on time?

4. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Well, Stubborn Silkie has finally decided that her broody box is sufficient tonset one eggs! Yippy! Our "due date" is the 28th of February, or thereabouts! We may have some Leap Year chicks! Maybe they will lay for 4 times the normal years!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by