This story in pictures really touched me...

Wynette

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Sep 25, 2007
Michigan
It gives me a new respect for the barn swallows that are inhabiting my barn now...I've been so annoyed with them, building their nests in the rafters. They've always done so under the lean-to before this year, and I've been leaving the barn doors open 24/7 (something I don't like to do) so they can fly in & out. I'm not going to complain any longer.

HenPen

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
New Hampshire
It touched me as well,poor babies...if only people would put such devotion into their relationships.....Thank you for sharing.

Birch Run Farm

Biddy up!
11 Years
Sep 5, 2008
VERMONT
Yes, they do know when a friend, mate is missing/gone. One of my cats is missing, presumed dead. Her daughter does nothing but cry. They are/were 13 years old, never seperated. I suspect a coyote or fisher killed Zena.

Friend of Feathers

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 5, 2009
East Central, MO
Awe! That is such a sweet, but sad story. We have, what I guess is a mated pair, of Swallows that built a nest right on the side of our house above the front door. I was going to remove it after the babies grew up, but I think I'll leave it if the same pair will continue to use it. I didn't know they paired up like that. I'm going to do more research on it. I have a new-found respect for my front door dwellers.

English Chick

English Mum
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Cheshire UK
I never ever move the nests of the migratory Swifts that come here every year to mate and raise their young, I find them a delight to watch as they fly through the sky, usually trying to dive bomb me if they think I am getting to close to their nests..Love them........

Thanks for sharing Wyn .

Top Bottom