This time next year, I will be chicken-less.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by urban dreamer, May 31, 2010.

1. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    It kinda bitter-sweet. I've had my wonderful chickens for a year now and I've really gotten into gardening. Me and my SO are getting married in October and we want to get our own place. Being college students, we both know that our best option for a first home is to get a small apartment. Although we will marry in October, we have decided that we will not move out until he has finished paying off his student loans and I have caught up on my medical bills (Im having my gall bladder taken out on June 8th). We have 600 dollars left on our SUV and them we will own our car. We want to be as debt free as possible before trying to make it out on our own. He should have his loans paid off by next may. I want to have my own home and be the "queen of my own coop" so to speak, but I know it comes at a price- the chook and the garden have to go. Has anyone eles had to let thier babies go? How long were you chicken-less? I know it will be a long time before we will be mature enough and experienced enough to look for a perminate settlement. Im sure I not the only person who has had to give up thier hobbies and pets for a while. I guess the shock has finally set in. Dose anyone have any advice for us just leaving the nest? Anything you would have done differently when you first moved out on your own? Also, dose anyone have any advice on letting the birds go? They (and BYC) have become a big part of my life. This is both an exciting and terrifying time!

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I moved out of my mother's when me and my other half got together. We bought what we could afford, and it happened to be in the city. Although it was a decent sized place in a good neighborhood. Cause it was in the city I thought I couldn't have chickens. I think it was about a year before I said F'it and bought some anyways. lol. I asked my neighbor and she said it was fine with her. So I had to go ahead. Put up a huge fence so no one from the area around our back yard could see in. Now I have my own little secret chicken garden in the back yard.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    My only advice is buy a place as soon as you can afford it. No sense in paying rent on a place you will never own. For us the difference between rent and mortgage payments was insignificant. (I'll admit that ws a long time ago.) Good luck and enjoy the journey. We started ours 46 years ago.

4. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    I agree I moved out on my own at 18 and then met my husband ans we bought our first house after renting an apartment and man I would never RENT again,it is a waist of $$$$$ please ,first thing you all should do is talk to a mortgage person and really decide if you should rent or go ahead and but your FIRST home.If you are paying all that $$$ towards nothing(renting)then why not put it towards your dream of owning your home.Sometimes you can pay less in a monthly mortgage than in renting,we did.We paid a lot renting and in the end we had nothing to show but a little apartment that is not yours,so why not own instead of renting.
    GOOD LUCK
    Blessing:cool:

5. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    I had to give up my chickens last July because we moved from Indiana to Pennsylvania and had to find a place quick....so the only option was to rent. Now we are getting ready to buy a house and will be moving sometime in July or August. So it will be over a year I will have been without chickens [​IMG] I'm buying an incubator for my birthday and will be searching for a coop.
    If you are in a city where you don't plan to move soon then buying is definitely the best option!

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Pay yourself the cash you were spending on the car once it is paid off. Then pay yourself the monthly ammount you were paying on Doctor bills once it is paid off. THEN pay yourself the money you were spending on his student loans once they are paid off. Add to that, staying with your or his parents for 3-4 more months beyond all being paid for, and you should have a down payment for a house in the bank! IF you will be in a house for at least 5 years, get a house, if not, rent a place and keep all that cash in the bank to fall back on just in case someone loses a job, or gets sick, etc. etc. etc. Go to Daveramsey.com or get one of his books and that will set you on the right path financially. I wish I would have found his site before. I would have been retired by now, in my youth, at 33 [​IMG] His plan works, and the site is very helpful, but you have to follow it pretty close, and maintain a high level of self discipline to make it work.

7. urban dreamer

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    Will a bank give a morgage to two newly wed 21 year olds with no experience even renting? Do you think we could handle that right off the bat? We live with his mother and do pay some of the bill ect. but we have never lived on our own (want to be married first). I want to be debt free when we do move out. My only real fear is Zach's job and its horrible lack of consistance. He has an AAS in Aviation Technology and even when he graduated with highest honors- he still can't find a full time job. He works part time at the local dollar store. I was lucky enough to get a good job at the college we attend. We are both going for business degrees now hoping that those will be easier to apply elsewhere.

8. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Personally, before giving up the things that make you happy, you ought to see if the two of you can even get a loan for a house. Find out how much $$ you need to have as a down payment, don't forget closing cost fees, etc. Renting is a poor investment...if you're going to rent, try finding a house to rent rather than an apartment and maybe you can still have a few birds and a tiny garden........

9. urban dreamer

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    I love Arkansas, so I have no intentions of moving very far away from where we grew up. I would love to own my own home someday. Souldn't I rent first to get used to being away from home? To "harden" myself? This is a big step for us and although for the last couple of years we have been buying our own home items (pots and pans, bathroom accessories, ect.) and puttig it away in storage, Im not sure I can go right out and commit to buying a home. I want to be sure I can handle living on my own and be confortable with it. I can't imagine getting used to being on my own and learning to take care of and manage a home. I figure if I can keep an apartment for a couple of months and get used to living, then all I would have to deal with when we get a house is learning to manage a morgage. I would already have the up-keep down and be used to doing things on my own. What is something I would need to look for in a first house? What is a reasponable morgage? What's a reasonable morgage payment per month (remember we only bring home 10-1400 a month thanks to his unstable job)? We will soon own our car so that will help some. Thanks for the advice guys, sometimes it's better to hear real account and opinions than to surf around on the internet and hope that something out there will make sence. Im young and still have alot of learning to do!

10. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    If I remember correctly you want to base your rent/mortgage on 25-30% of your income. That's going to determine alot in how you decide to proceed...with your fiance' having an unstable job, buying a house may NOT be the best thing right now. Sounds to me like there's alot to consider.

Just go rent a house.....not an apartment. Apartments are so close quartered that if you're not used to being in a confined area, it could get to you. Hearing neighbors banging on the walls, or their stereo at 2 in the morning, etc. If you're used to space and being able to go outside and relax, then renting a house might be better. Usually you can find houses to rent for just as much or even a little less than an apartment-depending on your area. With an apartment, in your rent is lawn maintenance, garbage disposal, etc. With renting a house, you maintain the lawn and take care of your own trash, but you may have a more flexible landlord who will allow you certain extras.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by