This was sold to me as a Black Marans - but is that a breed alone?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sumu, Mar 7, 2013.

1. sumu

sumu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK - so obviously not a Copper, but that's the only kind I have heard of. He is beautiful and is a fabulous rooster. He guards his hens carefully, stands on the nest when they go out, herds them in with his wing if they stray too far - he is great. However, I can't keep him since I am not allowed to keep city roosters and was told by a prospective buyer (who dropped out) that he was an odd color, not enough feathers on his legs and could not be a Copper. OK, so if I am listing him on Craigslist - what do I say he is? Oh, and the eggs are dark brown almost reddish. Thanks for any clues!

2. chesterbarton78

chesterbarton78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    England
    Copper Maran Cockerel!!

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    is it me or his there a red huge to his neck feathers?? marans should have light feathering on the legs and outside toe, but this varies among birds. there is a black marans just like there's a blue and a blue copper marans.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    no your not seeing things I see the red to...i'm thinking he may have something else mixed in him besides marans

5. Totalcolour

Totalcolour Chillin' With My Peeps

Roosters don't lay any eggs. And the eggs his hens lay won't be affected by his colour, only his daughters eggs.

6. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    The poster may have added this because the hens he has are from the same clutch as the rooster and therefor have the same genetic.

7. sumu

sumu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2012
    I realize roosters don't lay eggs. He and the hens are from the same batch is what I meant.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by