This will be my first hatch!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlover98, Mar 28, 2009.

1. chickenlover98

chickenlover98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Hogwarts
    Hi! I am hatching eggs and am already a week and a half into it, and only a week and a half 2 go! I have a question? Will cross-breeds hatch? Like a partridge cochin and a buttercup? Thanks!

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Oh why yes! Actually the mutts seem to be hardier than the purebreds [​IMG] LMAO My son managed to kill off almost all of the eggs in my bator... all of my Orps and most all of the ones that had a chance to be pure... but what is still kickin? The true blue mutts! [​IMG]

Be sure to post some pics of your babies! [​IMG]

3. chickenlover98

Jul 21, 2008
    Hogwarts
    I will! And I noticed a little difficulty candling brown eggs. Can you maybe help me? Like should i do it in complete drakness?

4. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes...complete darkness... a closet or at night is always best... you'd be surprised how just a little light can effect candling. And those new 80 lumen bulbs don't hurt either [​IMG] But try the total darkness first... that could be enough to help you see in [​IMG]

5. chickenlover98

Jul 21, 2008
    Hogwarts
    thanks!

6. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I put the light on the aircell end of the egg for the best light. Sometimes if they're really thin or light you can shine from other areas... but the aircell works best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by