This worked!!- Gooky eyes, etc..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Laskaland, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Well last week, 5 of my 6 silkies were all gooked up in the eyes. One had bubbly eyes and 2 others were sneezing and making odd noises (lol- hard to describe) I seperated all of them, and ended up putting 2 of them back with the general population, the other 4, I put under lamps on my interior porch (it's beeen in the negative digits this week)

I think they actually had a cold. Not sure if they can get human colds, but we've all had them lately, so maybe it's possible?
    Anyhoo, I used terramycin gel on their eyes, put terramycin in their water, along with a bit of ACV (smelled sooo bad). I added their vitamin to plain yogurt and gave them extra protein (hamburger leftovers, scrambled eggs, sausage cut up) (THANKS ANGIE!!- Miss Prissy)

TODAY, when I checked on them, they were all happy and the eyes were clear! There was no goop on their noses or anything. No sneezing either!
    So, I guess it took a good 6 days to clear up, and it was the most work I've had to do for the birds, but I guess the thought is
    DON'T GIVE UP!!!!

The silkies are still evil and may well steal my soul if they don't draw b lood first....

Christina

2. You posted for CURES. Great, nice to see you have happy chicks.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Anything worth having is worth working for. [​IMG]

4. Laskaland

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Thanks Angie...
    <sigh> I ended up culling them after all [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The gooky gunk came back and after long discussion and reading, and knowing that I didn't want to spread (and it hasn't) I just culled the ones that showed the symptoms. I didn't want all my chickies to get sick, or be carriers, or worse yet carry the gunk to the eggs which I guess is what they can do.
    I was very sad, but it was made a business decision. If I had a sow that was contagious, there would be no way in heck I would keep her and possibly infect the rest.
    It was a sad day, but the best choice.
    Christina

5. Laskaland

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Not sure what you mean? I posted what worked for me...for a short time, it seems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by