This works great for us.

mhelie1

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 9, 2014
VA
After having a couple wooden coops I decided to go plastic. I bought this shed at Lowes, mounted a couple plastic nest boxes, installed a window, air vent and a dog door that provides a secure night time coop.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
It's a 5x4 Rubbermaid shed, available at Lowes for less than 400.00. I mounted it to a pressure treated base to ensure water and excessive mud wouldn't be able to run in. I like it because it looks nice, is very weather resistant, and offers plenty of space for 1-6 chickens. I mounted a heat lamp in there, plugged into a timer, to keep the chickens waking up around 5:30 am. It also allows me to add some warmth when the temp stays below 20 degrees.

Plus with the entire set up being plastic I can hose it out if I ever feel the need to do so.

It didn't come with a window. I believe the small shed window was like 40.00. I mounted it using drywall toggles and sealed it with some clear outdoor caulk. I then used thick, 1/2" squares, wire mounted on the outside of the window and vent hole (which is a small dog door frame) to ensure raccoons couldn't climb in. I believe total cost was about 460.00. This a good price considering I've seen less secure and less weather resistant coops for sale locally for more money.

Back
Top Bottom