1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

this years edible addition to the farm

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Jun 9, 2011.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I'm still debating . . . [​IMG]
    We only have an acre and a half here, but just bought our retirement "farm" 5.5 acres we'll be on it in a year or so, everything has to be built first so I'm working on breeding stock and learning curve.
    Laying hens - got it down
    Meat Poultry - on it's way and doing well. Love the CX, but breeding a Ranger flock for back up sustainability.
    Turkeys - on our 2nd year and still way inside the learning curve

So what's next??? I keep making plans but then going back and forth . . .

The List:

quail
    ducks
    geese
    Pigeons
    Rabbits

I tried ducks last year - major pain in behind without the right set up, but already have some experience there
    Have had geese long ago & really like them but not sure how they would mix with my chickens and all the wild geese on our lake.
    We have tons of wild quail, maybe that would be the easiest start?
    Your thoughts????

2. BarnChick

BarnChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Spirit Lake
    if you are going to raise rabbit for meat, thats a good choice. not only do they provide poo for the garden, they are easy to butcher and skin out, plus they are a good lean meat if you are trying to watch your diet of fatty intake. They don't take up so much room as poultry, they can pretty much live in a cage, thats big enough, until butcher time. Thats the way I would go.

3. idajack

idajack Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Nampa Idaho
    Quail are a tasty addition, however if you have wild quail around why not feed and then hunt/trap them?
    Have you considered goats? They taste good when prepared right and the milk makes great cheese. Contact deb at nampa brewer center for cheese making classes.
    What part of the valley are you going to retire to (if here at all)?
    Personally with a few acres I would look beyond small critters for meat.

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Try Coturnix. I haven't eaten any yet, so can't vouch for that, but I have had them going on almost a year now, and they are incredibly easy little birds to handle. Not at all skittish like other quail, they're like little chickens. And, for meat production, they start to reproduce at 5 weeks old, and most people harvest around 8 weeks -- you can keep them going easily almost year round with an incubator and brooder to hatch and raise them.

5. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:I have ate them all but goose... My two favorites would be the quail and the rabbit... in that order! Quail are simply awesome!

6. BoomChickaRocka

BoomChickaRocka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    RABBITS!!!! unlimited source of meat

7. jenny_kap

jenny_kap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Romania
    add some guineas too and maybe a cow, so you have a veal a year and milk every day. what about one or two pigs? anyway, you should grow an acre of wheat, one of corn and some sunflower too. one acre of alfalfa would be great too. so you can feed your animals your own cereals.

8. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Camels. Australia has too many. I bet you could get them cheap.

9. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I think I am going to try coturnix. I don't like cornish x, don't want to do them anymore. I live in the 'burbs so crowing roos are out, so am kind of stuck as far as chickens go.

10. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I grew up on a ranch, not much left for me to get down concerning fourlegged meat animals - very familiar there, just saving it until we get on the bigger place.

as far as quail go they are pretty close to the top of my list right now, but I want Bob White not Cotunix.

Jeff goose is AWESOME & easy to add if you have the right set up - and you do. They pretty much care for themselves. Yur not supposed to mix them with chickens though according to NPIP and I want my NPIP.

I really want to do rabbits, LOVE the meat but I haven't raised them before and it seems like a leap from poultry, I think I may try the quail this year . . . still thinking though!

p.s. do camels taste good?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by